Intellibeam doesn't work when fog lights on??!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to keep the fog lights on when the high beams are on, I was saying that when the Auto High beams are enabled you can't have the fog lights on with the low beams. If I have the low beams on with the Auto high beams enabled and I turn on the fog lights, the Auto High beams are disabled.

It just seems weird to me.
Weird to me as well. Volvo is able to switch off the front fog lights when it activates the high beams. But as Swathdiver said, each OEM does there own thing. In this case, Volvo makes you activate their version of the intellibeam each time you get in the car. It does not remember the prior setting like the GM product. Damn annoying.

billium39

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is NOT what I am talking about. I know that the fog lights are NOT on when the high beams are on. I know that you can get a kit to keep the fogs on when the high beams are on. This is NOT what I am talking about.

Let me try to explain it; sorry for the long read.....

I am driving down the road with my low beams on and NO fog light on. I flip the high beams on and they come on......exactly per design

Now I am driving down the road and I have on the low beams AND the fog lights are on. I flip on my high beams and the high beams come on and the fog lights go off......exactly per design.

NOW I have on the low beams and NO fog light, I flip the high beams on and off quickly and the AUTO BEAMS come on.....meaning the low beams are on and the little 'A' and the headlight symbol is on the dash in the tach side. Now when I am driving down the road and there is no one around in front of me....the high beams AUTOMATICALLY come on, when some comes at me the high beams go off........exactly per design.

Now for the part I am asking about.......stay with me.......I have the low beams on and I flip the high beams on and off quickly and the 'A' AUTO high beams turns on. If I turn on the fog lights by pushing the fog light button.......the 'A' Auto high beams (Intellibeams) goes off and the AUTO high beams do not go on and off by themselves. So I am asking WHY can't the fog lights be on with the low beams and STILL have the AUTO high beams on so when there is no one around the high beams go on the fogs go off.....like they should.

I just found this weird that you can't be in auto high beam mode AND have the fog lights on with the low beams.

Thanks for the read.

now stay with me... you're asking for something aesthetically pleasing, there is no advantage to this other then you liking how it looks. Exactly why it is not done by the factory. If you are using the fog lights for the intended purpose you do not want your high beams on. Fog lights are being used by more and more people bc they look cool to them, but if they were meant to be on all the time, when your low beams went on so would your fog lights, but that is not the case

ttmassin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ford sorry i know thats a cuss work has a program called forescan that can deal with this issue does gm have anything that is comparable im looking into this issue myself but glad to see im not alone

ttmassin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
now stay with me... you're asking for something aesthetically pleasing, there is no advantage to this other then you liking how it looks. Exactly why it is not done by the factory. If you are using the fog lights for the intended purpose you do not want your high beams on. Fog lights are being used by more and more people bc they look cool to them, but if they were meant to be on all the time, when your low beams went on so would your fog lights, but that is not the case
i dont believe this to be the case im sure the guy that started this is just like me and wants to have the full funcionality of the foglights with intellibeam so he can see at night not to say the headlights are inadequate just want to be able to use them for the purpose of being able to see the deer thats fixin to jump out in front of you at 3 am coming home from work

Hiebs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a gm thing, my 2022 Denali fog lights have to be turned on manually every time I drive it, my 2020 ram turns them on automatically when my low beams are on, it's annoying that the GMC doesn't do this.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you want high beams and fogs that is easily done with wiring, GM isn't going to make it happen, wire it yourself and carry on, quit moaning and crying about it.
I didn't mean to keep the fog lights on when the high beams are on, I was saying that when the Auto High beams are enabled you can't have the fog lights on with the low beams. If I have the low beams on with the Auto high beams enabled and I turn on the fog lights, the Auto High beams are disabled.

It just seems weird to me.
in order for the intellibeam to "work" it needs to be able to "detect" oncoming light, with the fog lights on it is unable to detect the oncoming light, that is why and is just the way it is period.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is not the issue nor the problem.....the automatic system cannot detect oncoming light with the fogs on it's simply too much light output.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont believe this to be the case im sure the guy that started this is just like me and wants to have the full funcionality of the foglights with intellibeam so he can see at night not to say the headlights are inadequate just want to be able to use them for the purpose of being able to see the deer thats fixin to jump out in front of you at 3 am coming home from work
then turn your fogs on and if you have your brights on then be courteous and flip the switch if oncoming traffic approaches just like everyone has done for the last 100 years

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a gm thing, my 2022 Denali fog lights have to be turned on manually every time I drive it, my 2020 ram turns them on automatically when my low beams are on, it's annoying that the GMC doesn't do this.
this is a completely different issue, not related to the lintellibeam
fogs can be modified to turn on automatic or stay on with highs with wiring.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fog lights are for driving in foggy conditions in all my years of driving the last thing you want to use is bright lights it makes it pretty blinding; I don't see why we need auto fog light. I want control of fog lights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt