Intake manifold repair help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
I want to clarify that when I said to tighten the lower intake bolts I meant to use a ratchet till it feels tight and then add a 1/8 turn. If you are replacing the bolts as you should. the reason not to use the old bolts is because the bolts stretch when they are torqued.

I bought the felpro bolts which are not steel bolts. they will snap at the top if you tighten too much. just use common sense. I would also suggest to run a tap through the bolt holes beforehand so they don't get caught up when putting them in. this is the first mistake I did and resulted in my bolt snapping. then I had to drill the bolt out and that wasn't fun.

Also those don't look like felpro gaskets on there. should be all plastic with a blue rubber seal.

You got a lot of rust and grime on the mating surface. I took a soft (pink) ScotchBrite sponge and cutting oil and cleaned off all the rust and plastic from the head. its fine since the heads are cast iron. not sure I would do that on the intake. I bought a new intake cause I had pitting near the water holes.

EDIT:
now that I took a better look those are felpro, but they are different then the ones I bought. I read on a different forum that you want the black and blue ones. looking back at my order history from rockauto it was felpro MS901312.

Wouldn't steel bolts become corroded with the aluminum intake? I bought the FEL pro intake bolt set.

Thank you for reminding me to get a tap and die set. I'd already forgotten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By putting the silicone or thread sealant on threads of the bolt, it isolates the two different materials. When I did mine, I did not notice any corrosion on the bolts other than where the coolant make contact on the ends of the bolts that protrude into the water jackets.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ok. Admittedly I'm an idiot. I was reading about some quick cleaning methods and put both the upper and lower intake in the dishwasher... With dishwashing soap. Now both parts are oxidized like crazy. What I need to know, ASAP, is if these parts will cleanup properly, or do I need to go to pick and pull for some used parts.61635a6defdf3c841c9cffb39d2cd1a9.jpgaef935e096d34cc0539ff3e0799af25d.jpg96022a4e0592e43eafc5ce9f118e0c46.jpg

I've tried to do some scrubbing and while some was coming off, I think they would need to be blasted at a minimum. But I'm not sure about that throttle body...

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely replace the throttle body.

Tough call on the lower intake. If the gasket mating surfaces are good and nothing is flaking off on the inside passages then it may be ok. Make sure there's no soap or debris in it.

I'd probably play it safe and look for another one. Too much of a PITA to be replacing more than once. I bought a new one for around $400, but bet that a salvage one could be had for much less.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
This is after a super hot pressure washer for about 10 min. Do you guys think a bead or soda blast would work?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blasting may do the trick on the intake but not the throttle body. I'm not sure if you could soak that in the old school carb dip.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a lower intake manifold at my local pull a part for around 40 bucks. The throttle body is probably cheaper. That's where I would be headed right about now. It was a ***** to clean with strong degreaser and a plastic bristle brush. Came out just fine though.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
5f2d54601896a62c635fe419293b60d4.jpg
9332425a0526d7b2d4822ef39766398d.jpg
3c8f49fb2974122943bd4eed3bba25b2.jpg

Got the parts back from the soda blaster guy. Looks pretty good for $50!
Engine is clean (ish) and ready to be be assembled.
6c478467cb244893770f39de965c6b08.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505