Instrument Cluster Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

Whut Thee Huck?!
Reaction score
If I were to pull a cluster from an Escalade at a junkyard, what would I have to do to make it work?

I have an '05 Tahoe 4.8L

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
If I were to pull a cluster from an Escalade at a junkyard, what would I have to do to make it work?

I have an '05 Tahoe 4.8L

What year is the Esky? I did this mod in my 02 Silverado and it was plug and play... mileage will need to be corrected too.

OP
OP
Huck

Huck

Whut Thee Huck?!
Reaction score
It's either an 02 or 03. And how would I reprogram the mileage?

DallasD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like the know the answer to this question also.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
00-02 are the same....

03-06 are the same...

Plug and play if it's in the range above...

Tahoe03mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
instrument cluster question / gm service bulletin

Anyone heard anything about this? I never had.
03-04 GMT800 07187 - Special Coverage Adjustment/Instrument Cluster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM PARTS BULLETINS & INFORMATION - TO CADILLAC, CHEVROLET AND GMC DEALERS

Subject:Bulletin GMP07-174 - Special Coverage Adjustment #07187– Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle FunctionMessage #:VSU20071575
DESCRIPTION:
SPECIAL COVERAGE Adjustment #07187– SEPTEMBER 28, 2007

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT.
Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Refer to Special Coverage Adjustment #07187 for further information

EFFECTIVE DATE:
Initial owner mailing is scheduled to begin: Phase 1 9-28-07

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Instrument panel clusters (IPC) required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from the Electronic Service Centers. Refer to GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 1.5.9, for specific procedures. To eliminate keeping the customer's vehicle overnight, customers are being told to contact the dealership to arrange a service appointment and to supply their VIN. Dealers are to pre-order the IPC identifying the part from the Electronic Parts Catalog using the VIN filter so it will be at the dealership on the day of the scheduled appointment.
1. The customer will contact the dealership to arrange an appointment and provide their VIN.
2. Contact a GM Authorized Electronic Service Center to order an exchange and arrange for delivery of the pre-exchange product.
3. All units will be shipped FedEx Ground.
4. After removal of the defective unit, return the defective core to the Electronic Service Center using the supplied pre-paid Automatic Return shipping (ARS) label.
5. Failure to return the product within 30 days to the Electronic Service Center will result in a charge to the Dealer's Open Parts Account.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen many cases where the stepper motors and other failures have occured in the early 03+ clusters. I'd go with a new one or one from a later model, such as 05+.
Also, like NathanJax stated, 00-02 are compatible with each other and 03+ models can only use 03-06 (07 Classic Silvy/Sierra) IPCs.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything about this? I never had.

This applies to most 03-05's stepper motor issues from my understanding. And it's up to 70,000 miles.

Best thing to do is go into the dealer and talk to them about with the truck...

toddis32

Reaction score
Some dealers say it's covered to 80,000. Some say it's covered to 7 years and some say both. Either way the most 03-06 clusters that fail are coming to the 7 year mark. Most people i repair clusters for prefer to have their original cluster that keeps their original mileage and hours. Either way, if the the 7 years or 80,000 is up the dealer is gonna hit you up for 300 to 600 for a new one.I have heard of a FEW dealers that charge less.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vadenA77