After market audio amplifier install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided to go with the aftermarket install, and forgo the rear audio. It can be done but one needs to replace the complete instrument cluster harness (pretty much all wiring under the dash). There are no guarantees,a LOT of work etc.

So I bought this "AOEM-GM1416 Audio Amplifier Interface" and figured out where the "front" goes. The female connectors connect to the car's instrument cluster harness and the black male connectors go into the conversion harness. (see pic below)

Now the fun part is, the red/white RCA connectors go into the amps input. the blue wire seems to be sort of an on/off thing. Now I have seen some amplifiers, question is... How does one hook the outputs up, so they go into the harness again, so the speakers are powered?

Does anyone have a writeup? some pictures maybe?

thanks,

Ron

AOEM-GM1416.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided to go with the aftermarket install, and forgo the rear audio. It can be done but one needs to replace the complete instrument cluster harness (pretty much all wiring under the dash). There are no guarantees,a LOT of work etc.

So I bought this "AOEM-GM1416 Audio Amplifier Interface" and figured out where the "front" goes. The female connectors connect to the car's instrument cluster harness and the black male connectors go into the conversion harness. (see pic below)

Now the fun part is, the red/white RCA connectors go into the amps input. the blue wire seems to be sort of an on/off thing. Now I have seen some amplifiers, question is... How does one hook the outputs up, so they go into the harness again, so the speakers are powered?

Does anyone have a writeup? some pictures maybe?

thanks,

Ron

View attachment 193763

You mean the outputs from the amp(s)? You can run wires from the amp's output terminals to the speakers in the doors or to the factory wires in the dash that go to the doors and cut/splice them there. I'd avoid cutting any factory wiring and run wires to the doors.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean the outputs from the amp(s)? You can run wires from the amp's output terminals to the speakers in the doors or to the factory wires in the dash that go to the doors and cut/splice them there. I'd avoid cutting any factory wiring and run wires to the doors.

*frown* that doesn't sound like plug and play

Ron

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're running speakers off an aftermarket amp the simplest way is just run new wires to the speakers.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're running speakers off an aftermarket amp the simplest way is just run new wires to the speakers.

There is a company called MVI that claims to have an inline amplifier, that goes between the car harness and the radio that works, plug and play and no splicing if you just want to use the factory speakers., and that's what I want

Checking that out and see where it goes.

Ron

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a company called MVI that claims to have an inline amplifier, that goes between the car harness and the radio that works, plug and play and no splicing if you just want to use the factory speakers., and that's what I want

Checking that out and see where it goes.

Ron
I looked at their stuff and don't see anything that would do that. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a harness or amp that does what you want. If you want to just bypass the factory amp and run off the amp in the head unit there's some of those types of adapters out there. idatalink makes a Maestro that's pretty sweet for that. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at their stuff and don't see anything that would do that. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a harness or amp that does what you want. If you want to just bypass the factory amp and run off the amp in the head unit there's some of those types of adapters out there. idatalink makes a Maestro that's pretty sweet for that. Let us know what you find.

I was surprised too.. somewhere on their site it says "click on the tab for our plug and play amp" I didn't see anything. So I called... if it gets the sound back to normal levels with chimes, I am happy. If it also does the steering wheel controls I am really happy.

I'll keep this updated.

Ron

edit: If you think about it, it doesn't have to be too difficult to make a harness that connects to the car's harness, sends all signals to the radio, a "sound signal" comes out of the radio, sends it to the amplifier, the amplified signal comes out and is fed back in the harness.

At least, that's my wishful thinking. I was already told, you can't add anything like a sub-woofer, or make the rear audio work. But any aftermarket solution won't make the rear "audio center" work

Last edited:

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am interested. I just googled the model number of the unit and if it is the same one, your rear audio system will still work and be put through the rear channel of the outputs. I am not sure if it is the same unit, do you have a link to the one you purchased?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised too.. somewhere on their site it says "click on the tab for our plug and play amp" I didn't see anything. So I called... if it gets the sound back to normal levels with chimes, I am happy. If it also does the steering wheel controls I am really happy.

I'll keep this updated.

Ron

edit: If you think about it, it doesn't have to be too difficult to make a harness that connects to the car's harness, sends all signals to the radio, a "sound signal" comes out of the radio, sends it to the amplifier, the amplified signal comes out and is fed back in the harness.

At least, that's my wishful thinking. I was already told, you can't add anything like a sub-woofer, or make the rear audio work. But any aftermarket solution won't make the rear "audio center" work
Signals go to the radio? What? No, signals cone FROM the radio.into the harness. Then that signal normally goes to the factory amp and then from the amp to the speakers. If you add an amp in between the radio and stock amp, you don't have access to the speaker wires because they're attached to the stock amp. So your signal can go back into the harness but that harness goes to the factory amp, not directly to the speakers.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Signals go to the radio? What? No, signals cone FROM the radio.into the harness. Then that signal normally goes to the factory amp and then from the amp to the speakers. If you add an amp in between the radio and stock amp, you don't have access to the speaker wires because they're attached to the stock amp. So your signal can go back into the harness but that harness goes to the factory amp, not directly to the speakers.
From what I have been reading in the reviews of this item, it does nothing to your factory door speakers if you install the way they say, this just puts outputs to an additional amp if you were to add additional speakers powered by the amp. If you wanted to power your aftermarket speakers in the factory locations, you would need to run speaker wire to those speakers directly from the amp. Then basically you would just need to buy a line level adapter instead of this and run your radio output into it and then onto your amp to your new speakers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts