Installed wireless charging into the center console lid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneyd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We use our Yukon for a lot of trips, and undoubtedly, we forget our charger from time to time. I know a lot of newer cars have the wireless charging in them, but I've always wanted it in the Yukon.

Last weekend I took apart a standard wireless charging pad to see how it worked, and experimented with the distance it would charge at.

Unfortunately, it turned out that mounting it beneath the plastic center console tray, that plus the rubber insert, plus a case on the phone was just too much of a distance.

The only real option was to epoxy it in place just below the rubber insert. I've then stripped it down to make it only about 2-3mm thick, and then poured the resin I use for carbon fiber repair, (which is kind of like epoxy), over it.
I then drilled some holes for the rubber insert to stay in place and the screws to go back in the original slots.
I bench tested it, and everything worked great

I ran a standard USB cable inside the lid to the 5 volt source, behind the factor USB plug.
I then went to test it, and it did not work. Grrrr. It got power, but would not start charging. To troubleshoot, I then replaced it with another USB cable directly to a 2.4 amp plug, and everything worked fine. So it turns out the factory 5 volt is a very low amp plug.
I purchased a 12 volt to 5 volt/ 3 amp stepdown convertor from Amazon and wired it to a switch 12 volt source, and everything works awesome!

It's very convenient, and we use it all the time. I've thought about painting it flat black, but I actually kind of like seeing the coils when I lift up the piece of rubber.

Testing below the plastic tray

20181018_085240.jpg

Submerging in carbon fiber resin

20181018_111953.jpg

Installed without rubber insert

20181018_142556.jpg

Installed with rubber

20181018_142551.jpg

NebraskaJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where did you tie into a switched 12V? I'm getting ready to start the exact same project, plus I'm adding in a Bluetooth module and I want both of them to have power only with the key on.

OP
OP
Kenneyd

Kenneyd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where did you tie into a switched 12V? I'm getting ready to start the exact same project, plus I'm adding in a Bluetooth module and I want both of them to have power only with the key on.

I'll let you know this weekend, I got ahead of myself with the post.
I actually wasn't able to finish the 12-volt,. Most of the 12 volts around the glove box area are on all the time. I assume I'm going to have to go back to the fuse block if I can't find one

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! You might be able to make a profit here for the folks that aren't able to tackle this project if you're willing to make a couple of these... ;)

OP
OP
Kenneyd

Kenneyd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63