Installed my new HU, Amp, and Subs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got my Kenwood DDX514 and all the other stuff back in January, but until recently I haven't had time to install anything. I had the day off on Friday and routed the wires for my amp, and yesterday I put my head unit in. Now until yesterday I had never soldered anything and wasn't sure exactly how the process would go (the instructions were some what vague). Using what I've read on here and a couple demostrative youtube videos I did everything myself, which is big for me because im only 17. Everything worked great when i plugged it in and I am very satisfied.

There was one problem, however, with the antenna hookup. The antenna wire from the yukon doesn't fit into the antenna hookup on the head unit. Im not sure if I need an adapter or not. I don't remember reading anything on here about that, so if anyone knows what to do please let me know!

Thanks in advance!!

I will pt pics of the install once its all done!

Last edited:

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to see that you got everything hooked up.

but yes, you'll need an antenna adapter. i need one too, but since i don't listen to regular radio, i've been putting it off. i believe you can pick one up at autozone or advance.

OP
OP
gmcjohn

gmcjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I'm kinda embarassed to admit this on here with all the perfectionists but for right now i have a piece of tin foil wrapped around the stock needle to make it work until tomorrow, you know just so i can show it off! lol what adapter am i looking for? is it anything special or is it just a standard antenna adapter?

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man we love pics :nono:

B

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u can pick the adapter up at your local walmart for about $8

OP
OP
gmcjohn

gmcjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay i got the antenna adapter and it worked great, BUT when i put everything back in place the headunit wouldn't turn on! I have checked allmy wires and nothing is loose. So now I'm really not sure what to do! any suggestions?

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the fuse on the radio, make sure you are getting power to the hu, use a dmm and check the constant hot and ignition, make sure u have a good ground, and make sure your hu harness is pushed all the way in

OP
OP
gmcjohn

gmcjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i checked the fuse already and i checked the ower to the head unit by plugging the stock hu into the factory harness. Nothing happened. I'm not sure where to go from here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19