Installed a New Driver Info Center Next Day. LOVE IT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only says zero when I'm not moving, otherwise it is reading different mpg all the time based on throttle position, and engine load. I'm guessing if you still had AFM it would also toggle between V8 and V4.

So I finally had a chance to try that, I selected the "INST ECON V8" leaving town, and when going down hill, it changed to V4 and 99 MPG (I wonder how realistic/accurate that number is"

Ron

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The display maxes out at 99 mph, could be higher but we'll never know as nobody drives that long downhill in V4!

probably... I wonder if it does that on stretches of flat or sloping highways too.. By the end of the week I'm on a road trip, I'll have to try.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, sometimes it says 72 mpg as well while coasting to a stop or off a bridge (hill). Your most accurate reading of course will come with the truck at a steady speed and the engine under load.

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The INST is pretty useless, so I just monitor the AVG, and try to be conscious of how to make the reading go up to save money, although it's much more fun driving the average down to like 7 mpg! No point in being in a big hurry to get to the next red light, and ******* the brakes.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have a parts list for this? was it just the switch and the trim panel you added?

They should all be wired for the switch, I got mine at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N48KATG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The switch is cheap enough, but the trim piece is not that little section, it goes all the way over and includes the vents. I searched forever for the mythical used/cheap one, while my switch was plugged in and working, but just hanging out of the trim piece. I then finally figured mine is worth nothing, and took a shot at cutting it.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/finally-opened-it-up-and-stuck-my-dic-in.98879/

There are various numbers floating around for the trim piece, 20935584, 15923327, 15923338, depending on color, and new or old numbers.

They go for about $160 with the DIC switch cutout, and are worth nothing without the cutout, so you have nothing to lose by taking a shot at it.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should all be wired for the switch, I got mine at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N48KATG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The switch is cheap enough, but the trim piece is not that little section, it goes all the way over and includes the vents. I searched forever for the mythical used/cheap one, while my switch was plugged in and working, but just hanging out of the trim piece. I then finally figured mine is worth nothing, and took a shot at cutting it.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/finally-opened-it-up-and-stuck-my-dic-in.98879/

There are various numbers floating around for the trim piece, 20935584, 15923327, 15923338, depending on color, and new or old numbers.

They go for about $160 with the DIC switch cutout, and are worth nothing without the cutout, so you have nothing to lose by taking a shot at it.

Yeah the prices on that trim are ridiculous. I bought mine new for $136 and $19 shipping, best I could find... and I have seen used ones, with the switch, used for over 200. It's like the center console, I think most sellers know we with SSvs/PPVs want those parts, and others that want to do upgrades.

I think if you're closer to a larger city, not on the coasts, you might have more luck finding pieces less expensive from salvage. I found a luggage rack, complete, with all mounting hardware and trim from $160 including shipping. Dealer wants a little over $800, before taxes and shipping.

Ron

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you're closer to a larger city, not on the coasts, you might have more luck finding pieces less expensive from salvage.

Ron

Trust me, a larger city is much worse.
More people and more money looking for the same part. I saw some guy here found the switch and trim piece for $40.

Big City Stories:
Someone in my bike group posted tour pack/trunk for $300 in their local CL. Same year/model/color/condition was posted here in Chicago for $800.

Someone told me they stopped at their nice little local bike shop and the guy installed the spring on a shock for $15 as he waited, told him to cover their lunch.
I tried that here, they wanted $200 and 10 days for the same work.

spectralen

Reaction score
I got this piece with the DIC switch for 10 bucks. Found a guy on craigslist with chevy truck parts and he had all kinds of stuff. It wasn't even in the ad.
When you look on craigslist you have to look for the ad that gives you clues that the person buys and parts out late model GM trucks or maybe the pictures can give clues also. The guy that I got the parts from said he knows that a lot of people are doing this, just like the junkyards do, because with the GM models there are so many vehicles that use the same parts and easy to find buyers.

woodgrain center vent.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts