Installed a New Driver Info Center Next Day. LOVE IT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me, a larger city is much worse.
More people and more money looking for the same part. I saw some guy here found the switch and trim piece for $40.

Big City Stories:
Someone in my bike group posted tour pack/trunk for $300 in their local CL. Same year/model/color/condition was posted here in Chicago for $800.

Someone told me they stopped at their nice little local bike shop and the guy installed the spring on a shock for $15 as he waited, told him to cover their lunch.
I tried that here, they wanted $200 and 10 days for the same work.

Really? wow, didn't expect that. I have been looking for a luggage rack, and either can't find them or might as well pay the new dealer price around here. I found one in the Dallas area (and I happen to travel there next week), for a much lower price ($160, complete) and because I am in the area, the guy is throwing in all fasteners and trim pieces. That seems a great deal. So I figured, Dallas area not exactly being small, must be better there, availability/price and such.

I also have a 79 CJ, and was able to find rare OEM-only parts in large city areas (Las Vegas, NV etc).. I used to live not too far from Chicago (few hours south), seems like that was far enough then.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this piece with the DIC switch for 10 bucks. Found a guy on craigslist with chevy truck parts and he had all kinds of stuff. It wasn't even in the ad.
When you look on craigslist you have to look for the ad that gives you clues that the person buys and parts out late model GM trucks or maybe the pictures can give clues also. The guy that I got the parts from said he knows that a lot of people are doing this, just like the junkyards do, because with the GM models there are so many vehicles that use the same parts and easy to find buyers.

View attachment 189045

That's what I noticed too, a lot of parts are interchangeable. BUT these guys also tend to know what stuff is worth. but $40 for the trim piece AND the DIC switches? that is an awesome price!!

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^
Looks like there's some damage just below the left vent but you can't go wrong for $10.

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could easily find a junk one and re-attach the left piece with a little paint for cheap I'm sure. I took the not so easy part of shelling out $150, but it was easy to install, plus mine was already all scratched up.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did all my searches using Silverado, Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Pick Up, GMC, etc., still no luck around "the big city".

I have Asia Motors, Chicago Motors and Welcome Motors, three of the larger SSV/PPV outlets in the country, within 40 minutes of me.

It makes it easy to pick up a vehicle, but about impossible to pick up a deal on parts.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did all my searches using Silverado, Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Pick Up, GMC, etc., still no luck around "the big city".

I have Asia Motors, Chicago Motors and Welcome Motors, three of the larger SSV/PPV outlets in the country, within 40 minutes of me.

It makes it easy to pick up a vehicle, but about impossible to pick up a deal on parts.

I did a bunch of searching for that trim piece, I didn't find that many results, and the prices are almost the same as new.. so I opted for a new one. It surprised me though. I wonder if salvage yards focus more on drive train parts and electronics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019