Input or advice from others on cam swap for 6.2L 2011 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just took it out for a test drive and it feels like a completely different truck. I didn’t do any wot pulls but it feels so much more responsive. I think Im having a similar issue that Hager brought up about the converter pushing through at a stop. I’ll have to reach out to Black Bear for a fix.Thanks everyone for all your kind words encouragement. I really appreciate all your help/advice!

Attachments

• IMG_1767.jpeg
    IMG_1767.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 5

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just took it out for a test drive and it feels like a completely different truck. I didn’t do any wot pulls but it feels so much more responsive. I think Im having a similar issue that Hager brought up about the converter pushing through at a stop. I’ll have to reach out to Black Bear for a fix.Thanks everyone for all your kind words encouragement. I really appreciate all your help/advice!
Super awesome! Do another oil change after first drive is my approach. Would have suggested you use cheap oil with a break in additive if I thought of it. You did absolutely nothing wrong, just costs an extra 50 bucks for oil. You didn't do any damage or anything.

I put a factory built HKS team racing engine in a MK4 supra like 10 years ago, like 40 grand for just the long block. The crate showed up, busted it open, and there was the engine, packed with boxes of oil and filters. 5 filters, and 5 oil changes worth of oil.

Step one. Start car with new engine, shut off once engine temp registers, then shut off and change oil.

Step 2 after full engine cool down, fire up car and warm up to full temp, rev to 3 grand a few times, shut off and change oil. Ridiculous maybe, but metal comes off early.
I personally change all diff and tcsse and engine oils super early.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super awesome! Do another oil change after first drive is my approach. Would have suggested you use cheap oil with a break in additive if I thought of it. You did absolutely nothing wrong, just costs an extra 50 bucks for oil. You didn't do any damage or anything.

I put a factory built HKS team racing engine in a MK4 supra like 10 years ago, like 40 grand for just the long block. The crate showed up, busted it open, and there was the engine, packed with boxes of oil and filters. 5 filters, and 5 oil changes worth of oil.

Step one. Start car with new engine, shut off once engine temp registers, then shut off and change oil.

Step 2 after full engine cool down, fire up car and warm up to full temp, rev to 3 grand a few times, shut off and change oil. Ridiculous maybe, but metal comes off early.
I personally change all diff and tcsse and engine oils super early.
Thanks so much Hager, that sounds intense but I imagine with that kinda money on the line it’s all about attention to the fine details. I took it for a 5 mile loop around the block last night, so drive it to work tomorrow then change the oil again? Also like you mentioned before about the torque converter pushing through at a stop, how do you get your tuner to remedy that?

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So during the cam swap I decided to add the speed engineering 1 7/8s long tubes headers with their Y pipe which deleted the OEM cats. The Y pipe ended just after the OEM resonator and before the OEM muffler. So I cut it out the resonator and coupled the Y pipe to the OEM muffler. To say the least it’s a little louder than I’d like it and the wife said “Is there something wrong with it? that’s embarrassing!” . So I have room between the Y pipe and the muffler, what would be the best solution to toning it down. A resonator or a high flow cat?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So during the cam swap I decided to add the speed engineering 1 7/8s long tubes headers with their Y pipe which deleted the OEM cats. The Y pipe ended just after the OEM resonator and before the OEM muffler. So I cut it out the resonator and coupled the Y pipe to the OEM muffler. To say the least it’s a little louder than I’d like it and the wife said “Is there something wrong with it? that’s embarrassing!” . So I have room between the Y pipe and the muffler, what would be the best solution to toning it down. A resonator or a high flow cat?
@iamdub or @swathdiver will have some good insights for this one, I suspect.

Congrats on the successful conclusion to your work and I'm glad it's running strong. I forgot now which cam you ended up with but anything that has a decent chop at idle will push through the brakes a little with a stock stall on the TC. Blackbear may be able to help smooth it out a little, but you may end up going to a TC with a higher stall at some point to get its manners under control. That was the primary reason I went with the Cam Motion cam on my build - it featured a smooth idle.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub or @swathdiver will have some good insights for this one, I suspect.

Congrats on the successful conclusion to your work and I'm glad it's running strong. I forgot now which cam you ended up with but anything that has a decent chop at idle will push through the brakes a little with a stock stall on the TC. Blackbear may be able to help smooth it out a little, but you may end up going to a TC with a higher stall at some point to get its manners under control. That was the primary reason I went with the Cam Motion cam on my build - it featured a smooth idle.
Thanks so much for all your kind words of wisdom geo, okay yeah that makes sense I’ll reach out to them soon. I went with the TSP L92 stage 1 VVT cam. So far I’m really liking it but I haven’t really witnessed any of the upgrades full potential yet. I’ve been babying it a little after all the ups and downs I think I’ll just cruise it awhile let my Knuckles heal a little. I ordered a resonator to help quite down the exhaust drone and a oil catch can after noticing a lot of oil buildup inside the intake.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cats are great mufflers. I don't mind some loudness but it was ridiculous when I deleted my cats with headers. I'd use an actual muffler instead of a resonator in trying to tone down the volume. A resonator's purpose is to cancel out specific frequencies, as with droning that happens at a specific RPM range. It's not so much for lowering the overall volume, which is really what you need.

To give you some idea, I had an 18" straight-through muffler on my otherwise stock exhaust and it was perfect. Very mild rumble at idle and when cruising so you didn't have to raise your voice or crank up the radio, but it growled something fierce at WOT/high RPM. Lost the cats and it was almost like I had no muffler. Just a nuisance at all times. I added a 22" straight-through muffler right after that 18" one which brought it to right around a stock volume level, if not slightly louder. Definitely a performance sound, but not annoyingly loud. I wanted it quiet since I have a dual valve electric cutout to adjust the volume.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cats are great mufflers. I don't mind some loudness but it was ridiculous when I deleted my cats with headers. I'd use an actual muffler instead of a resonator in trying to tone down the volume. A resonator's purpose is to cancel out specific frequencies, as with droning that happens at a specific RPM range. It's not so much for lowering the overall volume, which is really what you need.

To give you some idea, I had an 18" straight-through muffler on my otherwise stock exhaust and it was perfect. Very mild rumble at idle and when cruising so you didn't have to raise your voice or crank up the radio, but it growled something fierce at WOT/high RPM. Lost the cats and it was almost like I had no muffler. Just a nuisance at all times. I added a 22" straight-through muffler right after that 18" one which brought it to right around a stock volume level, if not slightly louder. Definitely a performance sound, but not annoyingly loud. I wanted it quiet since I have a dual valve electric cutout to adjust the volume.
thanks for the advice I appreciate it! okay I’ll check out some straight through mufflers. Thanks for the recommendations

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I killed the timing at idle in drive and when returning to idle while coasting to fix the stall push. I am too late on the exhaust thing, but as said above, cats make great mufflers, and they help clean up some stink.
Funny story since you brought up the wife and embarrassed. I did a big ass heads cam on a new c6 corvette when they first came out for a customer. He called me 2 days later to book it in to have the cam taken out and a supercharger put on instead. He said his wife was too embarrassed to ride in it because of how it sounded.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I killed the timing at idle in drive and when returning to idle while coasting to fix the stall push. I am too late on the exhaust thing, but as said above, cats make great mufflers, and they help clean up some stink.
Funny story since you brought up the wife and embarrassed. I did a big ass heads cam on a new c6 corvette when they first came out for a customer. He called me 2 days later to book it in to have the cam taken out and a supercharger put on instead. He said his wife was too embarrassed to ride in it because of how it sounded.
Haha they just don’t get it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts