Input or advice from others on cam swap for 6.2L 2011 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh.. does the metal stick to a magnet? or is it aluminum.

did you find anything wrong with the o ring?
It stuck to a magnet. I was reading some posts on the LSForums that said it’s kinda common for a new cam to do that when installing in a higher mileage vehicle. Or the cam retainer plate I guess is notorious for leaving metal shavings. Apparently there’s a modification that can be done to the plate to help increase oil flow. I pick up a melling performance pump and pick up yesterday. I plan on digging into it today

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got the pump off and the impeller is jammed and doesn’t move as freely as the new pump. The new melling pump I can freely move the impeller with 2 fingers, the old one feels locked up which would explain the lack of oil pressure I guess. Hopefully that was the source of the metal shavings. I also recognize a few small wire strands from when I was using a wire wheel near the truck.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the help I really appreciate it. So I just pulled the pan and there’s some metal shavings in the bottom of the pan that I know weren’t there before…along with what looks to be a chunk of silicone gasket material that I’ve never seen before… so on a scale from 1-10 how bad is this starting to look?
That looks pretty normal to me after a cam swap. I don’t see anything with a part number on it

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks pretty normal to me after a cam swap. I don’t see anything with a part number on it
Thanks for the reassurance I really appreciate it. I just wrapped up torquing the pump and pickup. I put 6quartd of Royal Purple HPS in it while having the oil pump problems, should I go get new oil for it? Would suck to ditch it being 70bucks for 6 quarts but I feel like the safest choice would be to replace it. Ig anyone agrees to change it should I move up to a 10/30 or higher for the break in process?

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance I really appreciate it. I just wrapped up torquing the pump and pickup. I put 6quartd of Royal Purple HPS in it while having the oil pump problems, should I go get new oil for it? Would suck to ditch it being 70bucks for 6 quarts but I feel like the safest choice would be to replace it. Ig anyone agrees to change it should I move up to a 10/30 or higher for the break in process?
Leave it 5w30. Don't want thick oil in that engine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019