Inner axle shaft fixin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, great, did not see that. It is the cir clip and looks mostly if not completely complete. Compare to a new one and you should be a-o-k.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back at it again this weekend. Have a new bearing, seal and cir clip. This may be a dumb question but how do you get the axle shaft pushed in with the new cir clip on?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The cir clip will collapse as you push in. It collapses in to the groove it is mounted in on the splined shaft. You don't want to, IMO, slam it home. I always go slow and wiggle a little as I push in. Does not hurt to lube the surfaces with a little grease before starting this. Now, I like to push in but some say to use a dead blow hammer or a sturdy rubber mallet to slap it home. Again, either way should work but I just don't like to slam it in there. Give the clip a chance to do it's job by collapsing and then expanding on the other side.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know what I'm missing here. This all the farther I can get the shaft to go in. It seems like the cir clip won't pass through the needle bearing.

Attachments

• 20221008_133828.jpg
    20221008_133828.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 9

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that just looks like you dont have the splines lined up, if it was getting caught on the retaining clip it would only be 1" or so out

nevermind! thought you were trying to shove the stub shaft back in with the clip already in the carrier. you may have to give it a little tappy tap to get the clip to collapse

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@randeez but the splines are in past the bearing. I did try putting the shaft in without the cir clip and had problem getting it pushed in and engaged with the splines.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@randeez oh gotcha. Yea i have a deadblow here that I've been using. Can't get a real good swing in there but its enough that the cir clip has gotten a little marred up.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the shaft in some the cir clip is past the bearing. Now its in another spot where the cir clip won't pass through and I can't pull the shaft back out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC GUy