Ideas for Custom Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've already installed new 8" subs on both sides of my 02 Z71 and they are concealed behind the panels.
Now I want to find a way to make this 12" sub blend into the back. I've seen photos where other other have done boxes using the original leather and carpet look. I'm looking for something like that. How can I "hide" a sub this size?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you already have the 12" sub? If yes, what are the optimal box sizes for both sealed and ported boxes (my guess is if you are adding a 3rd sub, you are probably going for volume, and a ported box would better suit your needs)? If yes, is it a standard basket design, or is it a pancake design?

You you have a 2nd row bench seat, or do you have second row captain's chairs?

OP
OP
02Z71Raven

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you already have the 12" sub? If yes, what are the optimal box sizes for both sealed and ported boxes (my guess is if you are adding a 3rd sub, you are probably going for volume, and a ported box would better suit your needs)? If yes, is it a standard basket design, or is it a pancake design?

You you have a 2nd row bench seat, or do you have second row captain's chairs?
2nd row bench seats, no 3rd row. I'm currently running an old 12 in a Skar box, but I'm looking to upgrade to something in the 12 size but more of a competition grade, like the Skar or Sundowns rated around 1500 RMS. This is why I'll need to do a custom box. The one I have won't be large enough.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Understood.

If you are looking at competition grade subwoofer and box, then I suspect that the box will be quite large.

There are folks on this Forum who are into that stuff, and they will chime in.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Box Carpeted.jpg

Have gotten rid of the Powerbass subs, and have stepped up to a pair of American Bass XR10's, being pushed by a Soundqubed S1-2250 @ 1 ohm. Also have a single XR10 that will be in the rebuild of my center console, pushed by a S1-1250, also at 1 ohm. During the rebuild, am fabricating an amp rack under the center console, housing the 2250, the 1250, and an S4-100, which will push the door components.

Specs on this enclosure are roughly 2.6 cu ft net, tuned to 28hz, with a 4" port 11" long. I really should have a bigger port to achieve more output, but it would end up being too big, and the enclosure would be closer to 2.0-2.2 cu ft. The center console sub will be tuned the same, with 1.3 net cubes, also tuned to 28hz, but with a 3" port.

Box 5.jpg
Box 6.jpg

Box 3.jpg

Box 2.jpg

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Console 2.jpg

Console 7.jpg

Console 8.jpg

Console 9.jpg

This is the basic idea of what I'm redoing. With this console, the forward section is a sealed enclosure that I had two old Kenwood 10's sealed as lower midbass, running off a Lightning Audio 1K (but only a legit 250 watts). Not going to change much as far as the general shape, just going to reconfigure it so that the single XR10 will be forward under the cupholders, firing downward. I may make the baffle for the cupholders (actually 4" ports, sealed on the bottom) out of Lexan and have a removable trim panel - that way I can show off the beautiful backside of the magnet and basket. Plan on stacking the three amps in the rear of the console, with all the adjustments to the rear - I'll be able to pop a trim panel off and access the crossovers and gain adjustments.Should leave me with a storage area about 2 1/2" deep under the armrest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645