I tried to order a 2022 Denali today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been researching a Denali or AT4 purchase for a few months now and joined the forum this morning. What a great resource - thanks!

Have yet to begin talking to dealers, but it sounds like I should be ecstatic to pay MSRP and should expect to pay $5-$25k more, which I’m not terribly keen to do. I’m not in a terrible rush to purchase, but if something’s available I would pull the trigger if I’m not getting gouged.

Question: on the “Find a car near me” portion of the GMC website I punch in my zip code (Portland, Oregon) and I see some cars are on the way to specific dealerships - and there’s a price attached to the car. If I call the dealership and say, “Hey, the website says you’ve got a Denali at $83k on the way, I want it” should I expect they are going to come back and say, “Sure, for $90k.” Meaning, the dealerships aren’t beholden to the price that’s listed on the GMC website for the car that’s headed to THEIR specific dealership at a specific price?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and get ready for just that scenario, from hat I have seen posted here.

Clearmax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been researching a Denali or AT4 purchase for a few months now and joined the forum this morning. What a great resource - thanks!

Have yet to begin talking to dealers, but it sounds like I should be ecstatic to pay MSRP and should expect to pay $5-$25k more, which I’m not terribly keen to do. I’m not in a terrible rush to purchase, but if something’s available I would pull the trigger if I’m not getting gouged.

Question: on the “Find a car near me” portion of the GMC website I punch in my zip code (Portland, Oregon) and I see some cars are on the way to specific dealerships - and there’s a price attached to the car. If I call the dealership and say, “Hey, the website says you’ve got a Denali at $83k on the way, I want it” should I expect they are going to come back and say, “Sure, for $90k.” Meaning, the dealerships aren’t beholden to the price that’s listed on the GMC website for the car that’s headed to THEIR specific dealership at a specific price?
Yes that is exactly what they do. I called about twenty dealers and all were charging a markup between 2-10k. I ended up ordering one at msrp.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes that is exactly what they do. I called about twenty dealers and all were charging a markup between 2-10k. I ended up ordering one at msrp.
Welcome to the forum.

You ordered at MSRP but do you know what your mark up is going to be?

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How do you order one at msrp? Just build and price it online?

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like there's 2 ways to go these days. Either take whatever a dealer has coming with whatever options it may have and pay the dealer markup or order one at msrp and wait however long it takes and hope the chip shortage doesn't cut out the options you can get...

I'm pretty happy we found the XL in the color we wanted with most the options we wanted and honestly don't feel that bad about having to pay a little more for it. I basically got it right off the delivery truck with 3 miles on it and drove it home. Took 1 week from the time I found it online to the time it was in my garage and a couple of those days was waiting for my wife to get home from vacation so we could sign the paperwork together

Sdog4127

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went to my local dealer today to attempt to order a new Denali. I was told they get 1 allocation per week and there there 7 orders in front of me. No big deal, I can wait. I emailed my configuration to the salesman and we reviewed it. I said ok, let’s discuss money. He immediately informed me that they only sell at $6000 over retail sticker. It was a very short conversation after that. He said they get so few cars they have to make as much as possible. They had zero new vehicles on the lot. No trucks or smaller suvs. Guess I’ll have to find another dealer.
Never pay above MSRP. Sucks if this is the situation in your area. I’ve seen it here in ND, but it is obviously price gouging. After all, these are family cars, not exotic sports cars. Don’t give in to the inflated price.
I put a down payment to reserve a build slot beginning of July. Still haven’t gotten a VIN or build date. Thankfully I have a great dealer here in ND and they are honoring the MSRP. We agreed to buy @sticker price and they are giving us trade-in at retail price. So although it pains me to buy a $88k vehicle without discount, it’s fair because they are offering $62k trade-in for my ‘19 Denali (which is high retail blue book value). So I’m ok with it as long as the inflation applies to both sides of the deal.

Best luck!

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Expect the additional dealer markup if the vehicle is actually available, willing to bet most of those in transit ones are already spoken for. Keep calling and you will find one, just takes some diligence to find the combo of available and MSRP.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered if you can "re fi" an automobile like you can a house. I mean after you pay the high prices(which some of you will) you come to your senses and realize that you might need to lower payments is RE Negotiation possible?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts