I think I have some Gremlins, anyone know of any fixes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malibukid71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had my 08 Yukon Denali for almost 2 years and I really like the truck. Over this time a few things have stopped working and they really didn't bother me too much until the latest one yesterday. I don't think my heated washer fluid nor my rear defroster have worked since I got the truck. Then the rear wiper stopped working, next was the button on the liftgate handle to open it. The liftgate still opens with the remote and the button on the inside. The button on the bottom edge of the liftgate still works as well. The one last night that has put upset me was my power running boards. My wife was using it last night to pick our kids up from the after school activities and there is a 30 minute window between when they get done. Somehow she managed to run my battery dead but she got it jumped and it has started fine since. Since letting the battery die the running boards have not moved and are stuck in the closed position. I was thinking fuses but I just looked and from a visual inspection the running board fuse looked fine. At 5' 4" I really those running boards to make it easier to get into the truck. Anyone have any ideas?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low voltage and bad batteries wreak havoc with these modern autos. It would be nice to hook up a Tech2 or advanced scan tool and test out the running boards and check the internal trouble codes. They running boards might need to be reset. Not sure as mine does not have that option. It's time for an overhaul, get all those little things fixed before it gets out of hand and sours y'all to it.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heated washer fluid was a recall on my 07 they had fires so they pulled and capped the fuse. I’m with Chris in your voltage. The rear hatch opener goes bad but usually just needs the contacts cleaned. If your heated washer fluid worked at one point take it to dealer for recall they’ll send you $100 bucks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heated washer fluid was a recall on my 07 they had fires so they pulled and capped the fuse. I’m with Chris in your voltage. The rear hatch opener goes bad but usually just needs the contacts cleaned. If your heated washer fluid worked at one point take it to dealer for recall they’ll send you $100 bucks.

The original company that made the little unit went belly up. But another makes an improved unit that isn't so hot allowing you to restore that option safely is so desired.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original company that made the little unit went belly up. But another makes an improved unit that isn't so hot allowing you to restore that option safely is so desired.

Do you know if it’s plug and play?

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing worth mentioning? GROUND WIRE. Please don't forget how important that is (and how cheap it is as well!).

I started having electrical gremlins. I thought it was strange because I had dual batteries. Things were just acting "weak" or a bit "flaky". Then my navigation started shutting off randomly during driving, but nothing major enough to cause concern.

I ordered and changed the ground wire. Voila, like magic, all the gremlins disappeared. Interestingly enough, it also fixed the voltage droop. These trucks fluctuate between 12V and 15V normally. Some people have been alarmed that's been the case. Before I changed the ground wire, my voltage would fluctuate wildly between 12V and 15V. I always chalked it up to normal operation. Since changing to the new ground cable, it's always steady between 14.4V and 15V; never higher or lower.

So yeah, try your ground cable as well.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Another thing worth mentioning? GROUND WIRE. Please don't forget how important that is (and how cheap it is as well!).

I started having electrical gremlins. I thought it was strange because I had dual batteries. Things were just acting "weak" or a bit "flaky". Then my navigation started shutting off randomly during driving, but nothing major enough to cause concern.

I ordered and changed the ground wire. Voila, like magic, all the gremlins disappeared. Interestingly enough, it also fixed the voltage droop. These trucks fluctuate between 12V and 15V normally. Some people have been alarmed that's been the case. Before I changed the ground wire, my voltage would fluctuate wildly between 12V and 15V. I always chalked it up to normal operation. Since changing to the new ground cable, it's always steady between 14.4V and 15V; never higher or lower.

So yeah, try your ground cable as well.
Which ground cable did you change?

OP
OP
M

malibukid71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I did go through the fuses with a fine tooth comb and even replaced a few with new that didn't look blown with no luck. I did get a new battery and new bulbs for my break lights thinking I had one burned out. Found it just isn't working, so I get to add that to the list. I'm not good with checking wiring so I will have to pay someone. I may try to change the battery ground wire if it isn't too hard with it's routing. It is very cold these days so I might just wait till things warm up and deal with pulling my short butt up into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne