I joined the 21 master class

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My apologies for any misunderstandings and congratulations on your purchase.

Was the OEM tire a Goodrich or an Alenza tire? I see you have the premier and if I order that is the trim I will have so it is of interest.
Bridgestone is the maker of the alenza aos tire that comes on the optional 22” wheels. Continentals come on the 20” wheels and a Michelin (not the ms) comes on the 18. Z71 gets a 20” Goodyear wrangler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the article about the stopping distances of the '21's and it does mention tweaks to the tires a couple times - https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a35048882/tahoe-yukon-escalade-braking-performance/

I don't know, but I find this impressive

I read that article. And it did give me pause about changing the tires.
But the real life experiences of the users of the tires and my experiences won me over. One other thing contributed to my decision. I had spoken to a parts department sales manager that really loves the alenza tire of Quarks posts. I asked what was his experiences with this tire. He said he had not sold a single one.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bf Goodrich is the maker of the alenza aos tire that comes on the optional 22” wheels. Continentals come on the 20” wheels and a Michelin (not the ms) comes on the 18. Z71 gets a 20” Goodyear wrangler.

Therein lies the source of my confusion. I am only aware of the Bridgestone Alenza. Sorry for leading us off course.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read that article. And it did give me pause about changing the tires.
But the real life experiences of the users of the tires and my experiences won me over. One other thing contributed to my decision. I had spoken to a parts department sales manager that really loves the alenza tire of Quarks posts. I asked what was his experiences with this tire. He said he had not sold a single one.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Michelins and used them on all our big SUV's, tires and bigger brakes were always my first 2 upgrades. I did some pretty aggressive driving in our '21 Yukon XL Denali and the stock tires performance blew me away. Now, do I think they will last as long as the Michelins, probably not, we got 75k out of the last set on our Suburban before putting another of the same set on. And unless I see test data between the 2 tires, when the stock ones wear out, we will be going with the Michelins, even if they only last 30k I'll be happy with them and I'll use the extra $ towards my next vehicle.

Side note: When we got the '21, I was only planning on having 1 vehicle payment and we have only had one for the last 10 years or so, but my '06 Envoy Denali beater that we bought brand new is on its last leg and I am searching for a good deal on GM truck hopefully. With the prices of used trucks, for an extra $100-$150/month its almost a no brainer to get a '21. A Custom or Custom Trail Boss(4wd, crew cab, front bench) with supplier pricing can be had around 36k, unless I find another family member that works at GM :)

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know your thoughts on the Michelin Defenders? My last experience with the Defenders was on a Nissan Armada Platinum. The Defenders rode a little harsh, so I change them out to the Premier LTX. However, the Premier LTX has now been discontinued in our size, as you mentioned, so I am looking at the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus II -- Tirerack seems to be pretty high on those tires. I am just a little apprehensive because of my last experience with the Defenders. That said, the Michelins may absolutely be great with the Denali suspension.

Jon Pousette-Dart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up my 21 Tahoe premier which I ordered in September of last year and got an allotment for in November and was finally built in February after a three week delay from the initial build date in January.

she has the 22” Texas edition wheels
Enhanced display
No max trailering but it was ordered
Black bow ties

Added were the shield kit. 2 of the three pieces
Mobil 1 oil from the start. @100 miles
Michelin defender Ltx ms tires
Weather tech rear mat behind the 2 nd row seats

she drives very nicely

I have a 2018 Tahoe RST with 5.3 Vortex, Brembo brakes and Borla exhaust. It has the 6 speed transmission. Be curious what you're getting for mpg. You might have 6.2 and 10 speed transmission which would be very different setup from mine. I like the truck.

Hrocks

Reaction score
You are not comparing apples to apples here. The alenzas of old are not the current alenzas aos offered on the 21 Tahoe. Different tread and construction. The alenzas of which you speak are not even offered in the 275/50/22 size used by the current Tahoe.
Further the alenza aos 111h are a 310$ tire currently used on the 21 Tahoe. And they are the most expensive tire listed on tire rack in this size.

I agree with Quark...here's a post of mine from last October:

I don't know understand the "bad" reviews. I've had 22", 20" and 18" Alenza HL's on Escalades, Tahoe's and Lexus GX460's. I found them to be great in snow and heavy rain. I took off a set of Michelin Defenders with about 30,000 miles on them because they were horrible in the rain and replaced them with the Alenza's. The ONLY complaint I would have is that on my Lexus cars they did ride a bit firmer and slightly noiser than the Michelin's. However, I never felt or heard that on my GM trucks that weighed 1,000 pounds more. Check out the almost 1200 reviews on the Tire Rack.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Therein lies the source of my confusion. I am only aware of the Bridgestone Alenza. Sorry for leading us off course.

I apologize it is bridgestone that makes the alenza.

I too liked the older alenzas. But since I never ran a 22” wheel, it’s been some time since I ran a set. When I first saw the current version of the alenzas (aos) on the high country and premier with 22” rims, I was pretty happy. I told my sales guy who is a friend, that I even liked the tire. But when I read that they had only 9/32” tread when they advertised 10/32” tread, that users were only getting 30,000 miles, that their replacement costs were 300$ plus. I was a little turned off. Other’s comments included poor handling in the rain and snow. The Michelin’s I’ve run have lasted 60k miles. They’ve stopped incredibly well. They were great in snow, even heavy snow. Rain, even torrential rain weren’t a factor. I had an opportunity to get 4 tires that I have had hundreds of thousands of miles experience with, for just 350$ or so. I took it.
The truck is still pretty new, but on my 2019 Tahoe and burb with 5.3, I was getting 23-24 mpg highway with the Michelin’s. This truck showed my best in the last 50 miles being 21.9. With an average over 20 mpg. All highway mind you. With the Michelin’s

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know your thoughts on the Michelin Defenders? My last experience with the Defenders was on a Nissan Armada Platinum. The Defenders rode a little harsh, so I change them out to the Premier LTX. However, the Premier LTX has now been discontinued in our size, as you mentioned, so I am looking at the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus II -- Tirerack seems to be pretty high on those tires. I am just a little apprehensive because of my last experience with the Defenders. That said, the Michelins may absolutely be great with the Denali suspension.

Defenders are definitely good tires, but I find them a little stiff and 'RV delivery" truckish...But they will deliver the miles. I've had all 3 and the best I've found so far for the money, is Continental CrossContacts. The Pirelli's were very good, but well short of mileage advertised. Barely got 30K. Same with Premiers.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Defenders are definitely good tires, but I find them a little stiff and 'RV delivery" truckish...But they will deliver the miles. I've had all 3 and the best I've found so far for the money, is Continental CrossContacts. The Pirelli's were very good, but well short of mileage advertised. Barely got 30K. Same with Premiers.

Cool, and thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the Continental Company doesn't really offer anything in the 275/50-22 tire size. Maybe this will change -- I didn't realize we had such weird tire specs on our rigs ..