I hate salt!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TORONTO 95 GT

Reaction score
Well, I was getting the Yukon ready to go away for the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend up north to our trailer and close up for the winter. Being it is 3 hours away I like to fill up when gas is cheaper so on Wednesday evening I go and fill her up, like $76.00 dollars for a half tank is cheaper..LOL!!!

I get home from work yesterday and don't I smell gas in the driveway, I walk around the back and see a puddle on the ground and see the stain down the side of the tank from the top. So I decide that I am ok to go away as it is the top of the tank and I can live with that until I get home and I can swap in the spare tank I have. I know it is not the sending unit as that was replaced 2 years ago.

The wife gets home and she decides to do laundry, well doesn't the dryer go for a crap so off she goes to the laundromat to dry all the clothes for the weekend. I am sitting on the front porch when she pulls up but not into the driveway and I am thinking WTF? She gets out and says to me that she thinks the brakes just went. I go out jump in the truck and press on the pedal, all the way to the floor!! Blew a freaking brake line again!!!!!! Turns out it is the line crossing over to the front right wheel.

So now I have to replace the gas tank, and I am going to do every steel line on the truck front to back brakes and fuel and get it over and done with once and for all. I am so glad that this happened 500 yards from the driveway and not three hours away with the kids in the truck.

Sorry for the rant.

WiCK3D_SiX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently replaced all my metal lines as well. Best of luck. I ordered a kit from Jegs that came with all the fittings I needed and more than enough brake line to do the job. I was quite happy with the kit. Ran me about $30?

OP
OP
T

TORONTO 95 GT

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I will look into the kit myself. Was it specific to the truck or just a general kit?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am so glad it doesn't snow here, lol! Rust is not a problem in the South unless you have a water leak that goes un-noticed for a while. I sold my old Cutlass after it was flooded because I thought it had too much rust. But I have seen pics of the bottoms of vehicles from up North and my car wasn't shit compared to those.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey. Sorry to hear about your woes, but it's good to have all new lines though!

What are you doing about the salt/calcium stuff down there?
I use Krown and I still look like this come spring.
picture.jpg

Rusting out is one of the reasons I'm starting to dislike my truck.
How is your 95 holding out?
What are you doing to prevent further rust cancer from spreading?

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

I am so glad it doesn't snow here, lol! Rust is not a problem in the South unless you have a water leak that goes un-noticed for a while. I sold my old Cutlass after it was flooded because I thought it had too much rust. But I have seen pics of the bottoms of vehicles from up North and my car wasn't shit compared to those.

Ya, sometimes I figure it would be nice to not have snow....But then I give my head a shake. My kids and I are just waiting for the first snow fall. Snow machines man! We just pulled the pontoon boat off our dock yesterday, put the dunebuggies/quads away, etc. We are in transition mode, waiting for the snow...
Plays hell on vehicles though...See the pic above.....

But then I see some guys down south with the older K5's/OOBS etc that appear to be in mint shape.... I do get envious....

Last edited:

WiCK3D_SiX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not specific for each vehicle no. Its a 25' spool and several packages with fittings. Well worth the money IMO. I ran my line down the passenger side instead of the factory path and still had over 6' left. May be overkill but at least I know I have spare in case something else decides to let go. Also have extra fittings.

Best preventative to rust is paint. Primer everything well and undercoat it with a rubberized paint. Im currently working on this myself.

Last edited:

gregsb

Reaction score
Actually, the snow is not the issue it's all the darn salt that they use on the roads. One flake of snow hits the road and they dump a pound of salt on it.

I love the winters in upstate NY, it means playtime for me!:party33:

Sorry for the thread hijack - I now return control to your regular programming. :)

Attachments

• 100_7159.jpg
    100_7159.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 861.jpg
    861.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
T

TORONTO 95 GT

Reaction score
I was on the Jegs Site last nite and I found the kit you were talking about as well as the Stainless Steel kit which I think I will pay the extra for and never do it again.

As for rust, I feel it and I am going to go with POR15. I am pulling the entire front end out of it, I have a complete spare truck and am in the process of rebuilding everything out of it to put in the 95. All powder coated upper and lower control arms with new bushings and ball joints. So when I pull the 95 apart I can do the POR15 treatment to the front frame section and I won't be down too long. I am going to do the fuel lines at the same time as the brake lines so I can again do the POR15 while everything is stripped out as the tank will be out as well.

I have my work cut out for me I know but it will be so worth it in the end.

I love my 2 DR Yukon!!!!

WhiteWarWagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where do they sell POR15? I have heard its a little expensive, but worth it.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use rustolium every year come spring. MY frame looks really good in the tahoe and ok in the suburban. I always find a way to wash the truck after every strom at least with a pressure washer to do under the truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinsbritton

Latest posts