I fixed my dome / courtesy lights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LowLevel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a '97 4dr Tahoe with the tailgate.

After I replaced the front switches, continuity tested the rear door switches and tested the rear glass(tailgate) switch I noticed that when I took the override off, and unplugged the rear switch the lights went out. Then if I held that switch in by hand the lights functioned properly!

The problem is that the switch "telescopes" in and out of the boy for adjustment. Over time it must have been driven in from the glass being shut. All it takes is a small flat head screwdriver to pry it out between the switch and the body where a little foam rubber gasket is. It looked as if it was threaded on the plastic shaft for adjustment but mine was not. I just put the little "flange" face(the part you see around the center shaft when it is installed) on the edge of my work bench and tapped where the plug goes with a mallet. This popped the center shaft ribs through the flange. I did this until it was long enough for the glass to actually operate the switch.

I hope this helps someone who like me was banging my head against the wall. I had actually given up on it for a while.

OP
OP
L

LowLevel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pics of what I'm talking about:

Attachments

• DSCF1003.jpg
    DSCF1003.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1004.jpg
    DSCF1004.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 35

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm having troubles with my interior lights. They're on all the time without the override switch engaged. I'll check back there. it slipped my mind to look back there until I read your post. thank you .

DNeel

Full Pull

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Bought a new to me used 1997 Tahoe today and was having issues with having to use the dome light override switch as the interior lights wouldn't turn off. Quick search and the issue described in the first post in this thread proved to be my issue.

Thanks LowLevel.

Adrian79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if that switch was the problem you were you able to go to that switch and pull and push to see your lights go off and on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts