I could really use some help - New shocks/springs/level.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zwanzon

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just installed new strut assemblies with Bilstein 5100's, Moog Springs and RC 2" level kit. I also did the lower ball joint. Upon getting it all together, there is a huge gap between the hub and upper control arm. The whole hub seems to be way too low. The top of the stut is lined up correctly. The 5100 shocks are set to the 2nd notch. Any ideas?!

01.jpg

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just installed new strut assemblies with Bilstein 5100's, Moog Springs and RC 2" level kit. I also did the lower ball joint. Upon getting it all together, there is a huge gap between the hub and upper control arm. The whole hub seems to be way too low. The top of the stut is lined up correctly. The 5100 shocks are set to the 2nd notch. Any ideas?!

01.jpg

Put a jack under the lower control arm at the bottom of the strut or closer to the spindle and start jacking the truck up slowly.

You need the weight of the truck to compress the spring some so you can get the upper ball joint into the spindle.

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Put a jack under the lower control arm at the bottom of the strut or closer to the spindle and start jacking the truck up slowly.

You need the weight of the truck to compress the spring some so you can get the upper ball joint into the spindle.

Hey Ken. So I did exactly this and it was still too much of a gap. The LCA pretty much bottomed out trying to reach it to the hub. I ended up removing the RC 2" spacer and was just able to connect it all up. Maybe I wait a week or so to let everything settle in then try the spacer again?

kbuskill

Reaction score
Hey Ken. So I did exactly this and it was still too much of a gap. The LCA pretty much bottomed out trying to reach it to the hub. I ended up removing the RC 2" spacer and was just able to connect it all up. Maybe I wait a week or so to let everything settle in then try the spacer again?

Are the Moog springs factory replacements or are they a lift spring or ???

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Are the Moog springs factory replacements or are they a lift spring or ???

Ok, I think you nailed it Ken. I ordered the Moog 81244 springs, which now looking closer, says it "Fits models with electronic ride suspension." FML.

So I have the wrong springs on there. Are these going to screw up the bilstein shocks? I read countless threads of people with this combo, not realizing they had electronic suspensions...

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Here's what I don't understand. It looks like I was supposed to get the Moog 81246. But if you look at the spring specs, the "correct" spring is actually taller, which means it would have been even harder to get the hub all hooked up to the UCA...?

1.jpg

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set the bilstien to the lowest level, with no rc spacer you should be level and then some. With Current setup (with spacer) springs and bilstien at 2 your cv angles may be too much and you will have problems and as you see youll never get it together. If you really want the spacer you should buy new ucas to correct your cv angles. Member on here knows best, he is
@01Konvict

kbuskill

Reaction score
Here's what I don't understand. It looks like I was supposed to get the Moog 81246. But if you look at the spring specs, the "correct" spring is actually taller, which means it would have been even harder to get the hub all hooked up to the UCA...?

1.jpg

I think @Galante is correct... I read through too quickly the first time and didn't catch where you said you had the Bilsteins set for 2" of lift.

As far as the springs go you will be fine.

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Set the bilstien to the lowest level, with no rc spacer you should be level and then some. With Current setup (with spacer) springs and bilstien at 2 your cv angles may be too much and you will have problems and as you see youll never get it together. If you really want the spacer you should buy new ucas to correct your cv angles. Member on here knows best, he is
@01Konvict

If I have to take apart the strut assemblies and compress the springs again anyway, I might as well put in the correct springs. With the correct springs in there, can I still do the RC 2" spacer? Which notch on the bilsteins would I go with also? I'd still like to have a small lift/level as I got 1" spacer for the rears. My original goal was to raise the front 2.5" and the rear 1".

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I have to take apart the strut assemblies and compress the springs again anyway, I might as well put in the correct springs. With the correct springs in there, can I still do the RC 2" spacer? Which notch on the bilsteins would I go with also? I'd still like to have a small lift/level as I got 1" spacer for the rears. My original goal was to raise the front 2.5" and the rear 1".
Keep springs, get ccm type strut spacer for above strut and get new ucas for angle. Keep 1” block for rear

Last edited: