I’m back with an Esky this time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing that I ordered but hasn’t shown up yet, a deslugger. I’ve heard they are worth the investment. Instead of me typing all this crap, here’s a link.

FWIW- Rockauto has the best price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of that. Since mine sits for a week or more at a time, I'm probably at higher risk of this sort of damage happening. Dammit.

Reaction score
Interesting. I've never heard of that problem, or had that problem.... yet. My 2001 has the original AC compressor with 205k miles

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, anything with a compressor with oil can get ‘slugged’ ......window a/c units.. fridges... etc .....thats why you need to let them sit for 15-20 min after moving them before plugging them in...thats what i was taught when i was younger anyway. Correct me if im wrong jim.
Good werk on that esky btw

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
"Slugging" is liquid refrigerant making back the the compressor. Yes, letting them sit upright helps, but it's not like you're tipping your truck over. Not on purpose, at least. Not a ton you can do about it, short of solenoids to close the lines and pump down. A proper charge is important.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That’s interesting they made a cure for oil migration and renamed it slugging. They did get it right later in the video and refer to it as hydro lock when referring to oil.

If I understand the operation of that device correctly, it lowers the voltage to the compressor clutch at start up or pulses it. If the clutch wasn’t designed for a lower operating voltage or rapidly power cycling it, the clutch and/or other devices in line with it are toast.

What I’m curious about is, why a modern compressor equipped with an RCV valve that allows the compressor to run 24/7, but variably depending on the load needs this device.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Yep, anything with a compressor with oil can get ‘slugged’ ......window a/c units.. fridges... etc .....thats why you need to let them sit for 15-20 min after moving them before plugging them in...thats what i was taught when i was younger anyway. Correct me if im wrong jim.
Good werk on that esky btw

Exactly right. And it’s a bigger issue when they mount these compressors down low like they are.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
That’s interesting they made a cure for oil migration and renamed it slugging. They did get it right later in the video and refer to it as hydro lock when referring to oil.

If I understand the operation of that device correctly, it lowers the voltage to the compressor clutch at start up or pulses it. If the clutch wasn’t designed for a lower operating voltage or rapidly power cycling it, the clutch and/or other devices in line with it are toast.

What I’m curious about is, why a modern compressor equipped with an RCV valve that allows the compressor to run 24/7, but variably depending on the load needs this device.

The deslugger cycles the clutch using the ground side. So it still gets the 12v it needs but cycles it on and off to prevent it from hydro locking. The graph at the end of video shows just that. 12v stays constant and the ground is what cycles.

Also, on a variable displacement compressor there is no clutch. It reminds me of a pump used on hydro lawnmowers. It has a plate that rotates to increase or decrease the stroke of the piston. Need more cooling or want to go faster on mower, the plate tilts and increases the piston travel to push Freon or hydraulic fluid to wheel motors. This Deslugger wouldn’t work on that system. Since it’s always turning just like the mower pump, it will never put a load on system until it needs it. When you start the engine the plate is in neutral position which gets things flowing but no load is being applied. Best way I can describe it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
This one shows how it switches direction using the swash plate like the ones on mowers do. I’ve rebuilt and played with these pumps a lot so that’s why I said the ac compressors remind me of this system. When the plate is in the middle position, neutral, it’s not stoking the pistons therefore there is no suction or discharge.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Was finally able to top off the Freon and install the Deslugger yesterday.
04d9a5f72c7d6ab3a6bd0ca2925e9937.jpg
aedb8c3d4a786110b1fd07c33068338d.jpg

I’ve been hurting for over a week now. Sciatica and pinched nerve. Started last Monday morning. I don’t recall doing anything that would have caused this pain, but it’s always the stupidest things that set it off. I crawled to work last Monday and of course the midnight guy called off and the 2 day guys didn’t answer their phones to come in early so I got stuck working from 3pm until 6:30am Tuesday morning. I took Tuesday afternoon off because I couldn’t get out of bed. I made it to work Wednesday but when the midnight guy knew I was hurt and still coming in, I guess stepping on his opportunity for OT covering for me, he took his Thursday off so I had to stay for 12 hrs on Wednesday. Thursday I only worked 8, but I was dying. Friday I worked 3pm until 7am Saturday morning just to piss off the midnight guy and keep him from any OT. That hurt me bad! I was in hospital by Sunday, couldn’t stand up, hard to breathe and was just miserable. Got a steroid shot in my ass and sent home with muscle relaxers and pain pills. Tried like hell to get out of bed on Monday but couldn’t do it. I literally was flipping around like a fish out of water when my back would seize up. I had to flip over on my stomach and slide backwards off bed onto my knees to get up to pee. So I took yesterday, Monday, off too. I had to get up yesterday and move if I wanted any chance at getting past this back pain. That’s when I finished charging ac and put in deslugger. I made it to work today after going to Lockport High School and registering my son for his freshman year. Been a crazy week. Still hurting but I keep moving.

Friday during my 16 hr day I started working on something for the Esky. I’ll post pics but I didn’t finish so you’ll have to wait for the completed project to see how it looks. Just a teaser.
bee73106f27b5fc60914d2ed3e530fa2.jpg
dc4220477678936714d4dd6b9c530238.jpg
bfc11d7c3a592d1aa6197dcee6d27b28.jpg
dec3c2b19005f4abd0254cf7add6b13b.jpg
040df43ebbef3cf562835b90a7a6dc4e.jpg
7a64e6de72fad038e2a15cce844d309b.jpg
4897611abcff56f900bf6e6a83a628b0.jpg
53231a8c6d3564af138f511f50912370.jpg
d5dfcfe8edb763ea63c9fc81874de76b.jpg
d72b3608ab94b974708a8b6df53dccf1.jpg
9fd0652fd353b4a9e844f4f5d54cdbf2.jpg

That’s all I’m gonna show for now. I just didn’t have it in me to finish the project but I will in the next day or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA