I’m back with an Esky this time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
This one was down in Festus MO. Keep in mind chlorine is heavier than air so it will find the lowest points along the ground. Wind is your enemy when fighting this green cloud. Also you can see how heavy it is because the tree line actually helps hold the cloud back. For anyone lucky enough to have never come in contact with this stuff when you get just a puff of it, you can’t breathe. It’s horrible. I’ve spent many hours sucking on oxygen just from a small exposure. I couldn’t imagine being in a green cloud of it. It’s so cold it’ll burn you, I’ve had all the change in my pocket turn green from the fumes.

This was one of our plants last year in Alabama. And this was only a small leak due to a reactor malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
But this is why we train for this stuff. My plant in Lemont IL formerly K.A. Steel Chemicals has a AAA rating from the Chlorine Institute due to our impeccable safety record.

We do 3 live full dress drills a year and have to do 8 hr refresher courses every 12 months for Hazmat certification.

89bdae17b1d4b55b1fdcc08e4bca6351.jpg

86b99f298f77354d8d0ad92683742165.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
But this is why we train for this stuff. My plant in Lemont IL formerly K.A. Steel Chemicals has a AAA rating from the Chlorine Institute due to our impeccable safety record.

We do 3 live full dress drills a year and have to do 8 hr refresher courses every 12 months for Hazmat certification.

Crazy and cool job.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not Clorox. Clorox doesn’t make their own bleach, they buy it from us. They used to make their own but the security associated with having a 90ton railcar of chlorine has gotten so great that most bottling companies don’t want to take on the responsibility. A lot of cities don’t even allow the Chlorine to pass thru on the rails. Most waste water treatment plants would purchase ton bottles of CL2 and bubble it into their treatment ponds to kill bacteria. Since 911 and the birth of homeland security, now these same treatment plants use sodium hypochlorite (bleach) instead of having CL2 bottles. According to the NIOSH emergency response guidebook if you have a ruptured CL2 railcar an immediate evacuation in a 2 mile radius is mandatory. That’s during the day. At night, it goes from 2 miles to 5 miles. Imagine a CL2 leak near a major city and having to evacuate in a 5 mile radius. Some nasty stuff.

99f5cc03687c20d552558cb93853fac9.jpg

When Clorox decided to stop making their bleach and buy strictly from us, we swooped in and bought their machine. Just over a million bucks and it’s sitting in our yard rusting away. It’s shrink wrapped but it’s not about getting their bleach plant to use here, it’s about keeping it out the hands of anyone else that thought about getting into the business. That’s how these companies corner the market. We have 3 continuous process machines that are just sitting and rotting away so they aren’t producing and competing. It’s pretty sick really that a company will spend millions to keep other out of the game. But Olin, the company I work for, also owns Winchester. They’ve won the bid again to supply ammunition to the government and also this year won the bid to supply all the sidearms. This company has more money than god so a few millions is a drop in the bucket. As long as people keep flushing toilets and need drinking water, there’s always gonna be a market for bleach. Job security really.

I worked on a mobile fish processor (boat) in Alaska 1 year and we had anhydrous ammonia tanks on the boat, that was always going to be bad news if it ever ruptured.... the whole bottom of the boat was a freezer, we would load the the fish on a chain roller at the back of the boat when they came out the front they would be as hard a baseball bat, then they either got offloaded to the Japanese on the spot or put in cold storage even lower in the boat I forget how cold that freezer was maybe -35/40 below we were only allowed to work in the freezer for 15 minutes then you had to switch out with other crew, funny how easily people give up we started out with 260 crew and there was only 15 of us (original crew) when we sailed back into Seattle at the end of the season

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I worked on a mobile fish processor (boat) in Alaska 1 year and we had anhydrous ammonia tanks on the boat, that was always going to be bad news if it ever ruptured.... the whole bottom of the boat was a freezer, we would load the the fish on a chain roller at the back of the boat when they came out the front they would be as hard a baseball bat, then they either got offloaded to the Japanese on the spot or put in cold storage even lower in the boat I forget how cold that freezer was maybe -35/40 below we were only allowed to work in the freezer for 15 minutes then you had to switch out with other crew, funny how easily people give up we started out with 260 crew and there was only 15 of us (original crew) when we sailed back into Seattle at the end of the season

That ammonia is a great refrigerant. Same with Chlorine but if either got a leak in system it could be deadly. Stupid rules and regulations.
I think I would be among the ones who quit on that crew. I couldn’t handle being on a ship that long. I can swim, I don’t get sea sick, I just couldn’t imagine not having any garage time while off the clock.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
No, not Clorox. Clorox doesn’t make their own bleach, they buy it from us. They used to make their own but the security associated with having a 90ton railcar of chlorine has gotten so great that most bottling companies don’t want to take on the responsibility. A lot of cities don’t even allow the Chlorine to pass thru on the rails. Most waste water treatment plants would purchase ton bottles of CL2 and bubble it into their treatment ponds to kill bacteria. Since 911 and the birth of homeland security, now these same treatment plants use sodium hypochlorite (bleach) instead of having CL2 bottles. According to the NIOSH emergency response guidebook if you have a ruptured CL2 railcar an immediate evacuation in a 2 mile radius is mandatory. That’s during the day. At night, it goes from 2 miles to 5 miles. Imagine a CL2 leak near a major city and having to evacuate in a 5 mile radius. Some nasty stuff.

99f5cc03687c20d552558cb93853fac9.jpg

When Clorox decided to stop making their bleach and buy strictly from us, we swooped in and bought their machine. Just over a million bucks and it’s sitting in our yard rusting away. It’s shrink wrapped but it’s not about getting their bleach plant to use here, it’s about keeping it out the hands of anyone else that thought about getting into the business. That’s how these companies corner the market. We have 3 continuous process machines that are just sitting and rotting away so they aren’t producing and competing. It’s pretty sick really that a company will spend millions to keep other out of the game. But Olin, the company I work for, also owns Winchester. They’ve won the bid again to supply ammunition to the government and also this year won the bid to supply all the sidearms. This company has more money than god so a few millions is a drop in the bucket. As long as people keep flushing toilets and need drinking water, there’s always gonna be a market for bleach. Job security really.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I design and build custom equipment and work with solvents, so your stuff is very intriguing to me. Impressive!

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Got the side trim blacked out. I know, I’m slow moving but I’m on midnights and the wife nannies during the day so I have to do what I can when she’s not using it.

No, I didn’t get the black chrome. I didn’t see any that I really liked. Some was just really shinny black and others were too chrome. I’m going after the blacked out look so I just used what I have. Who knows, maybe this shit will blow off after a few weeks, then I’ll try it again with something different. I hope not though.

Oh yeah, real quick, Something else happened Wednesday. She watches my buddies 2 kids and their 4 year old goes to the same kindergarten as my daughter so Jess drops them off on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays and then brings their 1 year old back home until she has to pick up the girls. We live closer than my buddy to the school. Anyway, I’m messing around in garage and she comes home and says she walked the kids in and was heading back to her car and another kids mom stops her and says she sorry, but she thinks her kid hit the Esky with her car door. She said I’m not sure if that was there or not but I didn’t want to just leave. Jess said that was definitely not there and her husband was gonna kill her. I was like wtf!! I went out to the driveway and seen it. It’s creased, scraped, and imbedded with the other vehicles paint. Jess said the lady offered to give her money, said she was so sorry. I know who she’s talking about and they don’t have much. They drive a POS and I’m not meaning to sound judgmental but they dress like they have nothing. So Jess asks me what to tell her when she picks up the kids. I said first off, park away from everyone to avoid this crap and second, tell her not to worry about it. I’ll do my best to repair it and it’s not a new vehicle so shit is gonna happen. Tell her to have a merry Christmas and not to worry about it. Jess was shocked, thought I was gonna loose my mind. What are you gonna do? Make these people fork out money I’m sure they don’t have right at Xmas time? Or file a claim on their insurance and make their rates go up? Easier to just give someone a break.

Best shot I could get. Hard to see it in other pics. That’s why I put the tape above it.

8a4d6370956d558233f099b241f08f29.jpg

So I hit it with some Goo Gone and then some wax and grease remover.

7025e194845fe4ae13c5060fe758c88f.jpg

Then cleaned with alcohol. Used this Amazon special dent puller. Don’t knock it, it actually does a great job on most small dents and dings. Creases- not so much.

04c89670fccf2e7bb7cb1bc71c0701a4.jpg

08fa7753a017b26f81d2022c33295ef9.jpg

I’m gonna wet sand and buff the entire door and hopefully it won’t be too bad. It’s hard to see it now. Way better than it was.

Anyway, trim.

dd0c74781e02b9facb6c5e2c0f9576f8.jpg

e05793702877ae5a85fd0a1a60691eb7.jpg

a892ade39fe97ae8ccafe99162e70888.jpg

4f6c5fc843e05d91aabae301bde96ec9.jpg

b42e153edcce5dc1fbdf0f7f36019682.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Got the side trim blacked out. I know, I’m slow moving but I’m on midnights and the wife nannies during the day so I have to do what I can when she’s not using it.

No, I didn’t get the black chrome. I didn’t see any that I really liked. Some was just really shinny black and others were too chrome. I’m going after the blacked out look so I just used what I have. Who knows, maybe this shit will blow off after a few weeks, then I’ll try it again with something different. I hope not though.

Oh yeah, real quick, Something else happened Wednesday. She watches my buddies 2 kids and their 4 year old goes to the same kindergarten as my daughter so Jess drops them off on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays and then brings their 1 year old back home until she has to pick up the girls. We live closer than my buddy to the school. Anyway, I’m messing around in garage and she comes home and says she walked the kids in and was heading back to her car and another kids mom stops her and says she sorry, but she thinks her kid hit the Esky with her car door. She said I’m not sure if that was there or not but I didn’t want to just leave. Jess said that was definitely not there and her husband was gonna kill her. I was like wtf!! I went out to the driveway and seen it. It’s creased, scraped, and imbedded with the other vehicles paint. Jess said the lady offered to give her money, said she was so sorry. I know who she’s talking about and they don’t have much. They drive a POS and I’m not meaning to sound judgmental but they dress like they have nothing. So Jess asks me what to tell her when she picks up the kids. I said first off, park away from everyone to avoid this crap and second, tell her not to worry about it. I’ll do my best to repair it and it’s not a new vehicle so shit is gonna happen. Tell her to have a merry Christmas and not to worry about it. Jess was shocked, thought I was gonna loose my mind. What are you gonna do? Make these people fork out money I’m sure they don’t have right at Xmas time? Or file a claim on their insurance and make their rates go up? Easier to just give someone a break.

Best shot I could get. Hard to see it in other pics. That’s why I put the tape above it.

8a4d6370956d558233f099b241f08f29.jpg

So I hit it with some Goo Gone and then some wax and grease remover.

7025e194845fe4ae13c5060fe758c88f.jpg

Then cleaned with alcohol. Used this Amazon special dent puller. Don’t knock it, it actually does a great job on most small dents and dings. Creases- not so much.

04c89670fccf2e7bb7cb1bc71c0701a4.jpg

08fa7753a017b26f81d2022c33295ef9.jpg

I’m gonna wet sand and buff the entire door and hopefully it won’t be too bad. It’s hard to see it now. Way better than it was.

Anyway, trim.

dd0c74781e02b9facb6c5e2c0f9576f8.jpg

e05793702877ae5a85fd0a1a60691eb7.jpg

a892ade39fe97ae8ccafe99162e70888.jpg

4f6c5fc843e05d91aabae301bde96ec9.jpg

b42e153edcce5dc1fbdf0f7f36019682.jpg

You're a nice guy. I think I would've been mad as fu$@, but like you said, what are you gonna do. That lower moulding came out really good. Did you wrap it? Looks painted now. Good job. Too bad you couldn't get behind the crease to work it out. I bet it's barely noticeable tho.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
You're a nice guy. I think I would've been mad as fu$@, but like you said, what are you gonna do. That lower moulding came out really good. Did you wrap it? Looks painted now. Good job. Too bad you couldn't get behind the crease to work it out. I bet it's barely noticeable tho.

Yeah, it’s a wrap. I still have a bunch of it and it matches well so I’m gonna keep going with it.

9db30c8a715db5c93d0e51f789cad92a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094