HVAC fan speed question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the fan switch can break either way fish. is your loss just one speed or the whole fan system or the whole kitten caboodle?

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

in the time it takes to read these posts you can save 15% or more on car parts with amazon.

Last edited:

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I found out why my 3rd speed wasn't working, popped off the HVAC unit and saw this behind.....

IMG_20121026_201206_zps49826842.gif

Previous owners must have been real cheap *****, looks like they had the wires connected to the unit with electrical tape.... Anyway I ordered http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PT1346-Female-8-Way-Connector/dp/B000C9TZBY/, does anyone have any tips on how to get my current wires replaced? Looks like they go way back into the front of the vehicle, and are currently wrapped up with the other wires that plug into the HVAC unit. Already replaced the heater blower control switch since I figured I might as well since the HVAC unit is out.

Really sucks not having any heat or windshield defrost at this time of year :yuno:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it may be in your best interest to run new one if you can not attach to existing ones.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

that kit just attaches to those in the pic now just cut off the old terminals. crimping might be better tho. wait to see any instructions first.

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the schematic sheet I'm using. I think I can actually just reuse my wires and leads without connecting any new ones. I really just needed the female plug, although of course you can't get that for just $4, you need the whole $30 kit.... The amazon picture looks like you just use 6 cables, and I see I only have 6 free cables. I probably will end up just cutting off the terminals on the current wires, and soldering an inch or two of the new wires + terminals onto the ends.

This picture is from Amazon, unfortunately he does not show the back end of the plug.
51M7d%2BMIE3L.jpg

However I can't tell which colors exactly are running into each of the inlets. According to my schematics, I should have dark green, brown, orange, light blue, tan, and yellow.

The 6 wires I have are dark green, brown, orange, light blue, tan, and yellow, so far so good :D

IMG_20121031_205510_zpsa1d143f2.gif

However my schematic calls for something different, unless I'm looking at the wrong schematic. It says it should be for 95 and up trucks, and it's from the Haynes manual. Maybe someone can take that Amazon picture, and use MS Paint or something to tell me exactly which color should line up with which inlet?

IMG_20121031_232506_zps7222be56.gif

Last edited:

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will look for a connector viewfor you wen i get home soon.

Thanks. It's hard driving at night here without having heat blowing on the front windshield. It starts frosting up plus your breath on the windshield glazes it over.

I saw another Amazon pic where it looks like:

top line looks like blank, blank, brown, orange
bottom looks like green, yellow, tan, purple

Let me know if that matches up with what you find.

51TbMLa5R8L.jpg

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone get me a picture of behind their HVAC controls? Really curious as to which colored wires go where and I'm not willing to risk it based off the Amazon picture :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700