Hurts Taking One Like This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Remanufactured Transmission in my wife's 2005 Yukon has started making a noise that sounds like something is loose inside. Does it in all gear positions. The business that installed it has completely dropped off the face of the earth. So much for any warranty. I just hate the feeling of helplessness and feel totally ripped off. Being on a fixed income and old and having health issues, I still want to pull it and replace it. Is this possible to do in my driveway? I don't think I can get it into my garage. Or will I bite off more than I can chew? My wife thinks I'm nuts. Because of my health issues sometimes I'm down for weeks at a time. Could be the end of this stubborn old mule.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still have the paperwork, you might be able to see if the warranty is provided by a national provider.

Might also check to see if the shop still exists, but changed names. Happens when a company gets bought out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I feel for you, I really do. I do have to ask some questions though.

When you found this shop, was it your choice because of price? Because of recommendations? Because of reviews? Because of closeness? How long had they been in business? Did you check for ASE Certifications? Did you ask if warranty is covered anywhere else besides their shop? Or, why were they chosen that I have not listed?

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose them for closeness, price, reviews, the upgrade kit they installed, and length of warranty. They appeared upfront and were very busy. They'd been at that location for a couple years. All appeared professional including the estimate. I guess in retrospect I should have checked with the BBB and maybe asked if they were affiliated with anyone else.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, you did your due diligence. Great. Like extended warranties, a business can have some complaints, close down and open under another name in the same state or a different state. Either way, you are left holding the bag. Sorry for all that.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah we've even done searches for new transmission repairs starting up in the area thinking the same thing to no avail. Got a name or two but they're completely off the radar. May have gone to another state. So, back to my original question, possible to do on my own considering my disabilities if I took it slow? I haven't done a transmission in decades but I have done them. When I was younger! LOL!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Remanufactured Transmission in my wife's 2005 Yukon has started making a noise that sounds like something is loose inside. Does it in all gear positions. The business that installed it has completely dropped off the face of the earth. So much for any warranty. I just hate the feeling of helplessness and feel totally ripped off. Being on a fixed income and old and having health issues, I still want to pull it and replace it. Is this possible to do in my driveway? I don't think I can get it into my garage. Or will I bite off more than I can chew? My wife thinks I'm nuts. Because of my health issues sometimes I'm down for weeks at a time. Could be the end of this stubborn old mule.
You might crawl under and check the torque converter bolts. A loose one can make it sound like the earth is going to implode. It's not a difficult job for a young man, but for us oldsters it can take some time especially since our batteries take longer to re charge. Definitely want an adapter for a floor jack or a transmission jack if you decide to pull it.

So how does it drive? Think she'll make a drive out to Amarillo, Texas for Precision Transmissions to fix it?

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually sounds like the noise is coming from the middle/rear of the tranny. But I will investigate as soon as I can. I'd be afraid to drive it around the block right now! Here's a link to one of their web ads. Says they're BBB and ASME but I checked with BBB and they're not a member.