Humming noise when tightly turning steering wheel, only during cold start and go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treatyoselfnc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 2022 Tahoe. Recently, when I start my car and immediately drive, when you are turning say from a street so your making a harder turn, the front wheels or somewhere in that area makes a humming noise sorta like a hmm hmm hmm. I did bring it in for a different reason and they couldn’t replicate the noise. However I’ve since realized it only during a cold start and go, when you’re driving for a bit and turn left or right hard it doesn’t make the noise anymore. Any ideas what it could be? Or ideas to let mechanic know to check. Thanks in advance!

d_hawk

Reaction score
This topic is relevant to my interests. I have a 2021 Suburban with the same issue.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe weak battery (exasperated by the cold weather [please define "cold" for us]).

If 20 Watts of power are needed to crank the wheels stop to stop, and battery voltage is down 10%, you need a corresponding increase in current to accomplish the task...eventually the electrical system will not be able to provide it and you won't be able to do it, but if there is more alternator current available, it may be the alternator whining or something...
Suggest testing your battery and making sure it is fully charged...but this may or may not be the issue.

I started blowing fuses in my boat for my fish-finders as the frist sign my battery was failing...
- 2 fish finders, each rated at 2.4A, 12V.
- Battery voltage was sagging to 11V, and the 5A fuse feeding them started blowing on the regular.
- Replaced the battery and fuse blow events subsided...

Funny how physics works, right?

2021TahoeMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 2022 Tahoe. Recently, when I start my car and immediately drive, when you are turning say from a street so your making a harder turn, the front wheels or somewhere in that area makes a humming noise sorta like a hmm hmm hmm. I did bring it in for a different reason and they couldn’t replicate the noise. However I’ve since realized it only during a cold start and go, when you’re driving for a bit and turn left or right hard it doesn’t make the noise anymore. Any ideas what it could be? Or ideas to let mechanic know to check. Thanks in advance!
My 2021 is currently at the dealer. They heard it and felt it but haven’t found the cause yet.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear differential clutches. Change the fluid with the GM fluid and drive it 100-300 miles, should improve. Also covered under powertrain warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019