Howdy - 02 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRiverRev

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy, I'm Rev. Herman from, what I call, NETSEO (NE TX/SE OK). I'm back to the GM world after exclusively driving Fords for the last 15 years or so. I grew up in a mostly GM family. My Dad drove a 64 stepside, my grandfather drove Astros, Burbs, Yukons, and Tahoes, and my uncle had a Camaro, a Lemans, Sierras, and a 210. I always liked wrenching with them and going to car shows. I started out with a 1990 Chevy Celebrity (it was a total dog but it simply refused to die) and had a project doing a frame-off restoration of a 1966 Chevelle (lost that due to baby number one).

During that time, I got a really sweet deal on an 86 F150 and switched to Fords after that. I spent the next 15 years driving various F150s, a Mustang, and a Flex. It was fun, but Ford has really lost the plot, I feel. Anyway, that's beside the point...

One of my dream cars growing up was a forest green Tahoe with beige interior which my friend's parents drove us around in after school. After graduating from seminary, I decided to get myself a project again. I had toyed around with the idea of getting a new Bronco...but that's a story for another time (you can see all my gripes over at B6G Forum). Basically, this came into my life and I couldn't pass it up:

2002 Tahoe Z71

20210205_071149.jpg

20210205_071156.jpg

20210205_071204.jpg

I don't have any interior pics, but it's the 922 interior. It's a one owner and in fantastic shape, so very happy with it. My plans right now are to keep it mostly stock and basically fix the normal wear and tear items. My immediate projects are to change out to LED bulbs (interior and exterior) and add Flowmaster exhaust (I've always had Flowmasters on every v8 I've owned). I'll then probably start on restoring the interior which has a few rips and tears.

It's interesting coming back to a GM vehicle after so many years with Fords. I feel like I can appreciate both companies now for their strengths. I will say that popping the hood of the Tahoe was a breath of fresh air. So much room to work without big ol' Modular heads in the way or endless turbo wires and pipes. Anyway, good to be here and I thank you ahead of time for all your help!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. I just sold my 2002 Tahoe LT with forest green paint. Love my 2005 though.

OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. I just sold my 2002 Tahoe LT with forest green paint. Love my 2005 though.

As you can see with my wife's van, we love the color green. haha Green had a big upsurge in the 90s and started to taper off in the early 00s if I recall correctly. It takes a long time to find green, if a maker even offers it in a particular year.

OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from NJ. Looks to be in good shape.

It is! It's got 223k miles, but it was well-maintained. Most everything is cosmetic and basic maintenance. The only issue is a squeaky belt right now, which may just need a belt replacement.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It is! It's got 223k miles, but it was well-maintained. Most everything is cosmetic and basic maintenance. The only issue is a squeaky belt right now, which may just need a belt replacement.

Might as well learn about the "pattern" wear items now on the GM. The belt is likely needed simply because it is old, cracked and glazed but if you do them both, I highly recommend the tensioners and the idler replacement with quality AC Delco parts. The tensioners and idler are known for causing problems.

Be religious about fluid changes and check for exhaust manifold bolts broken at the heads. What mileage is on the rig?

By the way, my 2002 had the same clear coat paint problems as yours.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Might as well learn about the "pattern" wear items now on the GM. The belt is likely needed simply because it is old, cracked and glazed but if you do them both, I highly recommend the tensioners and the idler replacement with quality AC Delco parts. The tensioners and idler are known for causing problems.

Be religious about fluid changes and check for exhaust manifold bolts broken at the heads. What mileage is on the rig?

I think that's frost on the hood.

OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Sorry, it was a frosty morning. I'll get some better pics once the artic blast moves out next week. haha

I'm very religious about fluid changes. In fact, it's the one thing that bugs me about Toyota. They want me to go 10,000 miles for an oil change and it kills me. I start cringing at 7k miles. :D

The previous owner said they had to add oil quite frequently, but I figured that was common for the 5.3l.

Thanks for the tip on the tensioners and idler...I plan on picking up some high quality parts and fixing that soon. The lube and tune guy told the previous owner to just keep putting "stop squeal" on it. So yeah, probably time to to get those things replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep