How to tighten my Emergency Brake??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rogue status hoho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anybody know how I can tighten my emergency brake up. Whenever i go to set it, i have to push it all the way down to the floor. My cousin has an 02 denali and he only has to push down on it a tad for it to be tight and set. Thanks for the help!

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
I hate to say it, But its alot harder than just tightening a bolt. ITs gotta be redone. New ebrake drums and pads. I did it in my silverado and it was about 550 bucks at the dealer.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rolling Thunder is probably right. There is a chance that it might need adjusting, but it's most likely worn out e-brake shoes. It's a poor design in my opinion, but that's how it is. I actually did mine this past weekend. After I replaced my brake pads and e-brake pads mine still didn't hold quite right so I took it to NTB and paid the $30 to have them adjust it at that point. There is an adjustment for the pedal under the drivers side near the e-brake pedal that takes two people to adjust.

Truthfully, it's really not that bad of a job. I snapped some pictures with hopes of doing a tech write-up on this very subject since I came on the forum and asked the same question a few weeks ago. It only cost my about $180 to replace all the brakes in the rear, including the trip to NTB. If you have a little mechanical knowledge and some basic hand tools, it's really not that bad and can be done in a few hours. I'll try to write something up here in the next few days.

Rwayne

Reaction score
I just realized the other day mine doesn't do anything, all the way to the floor or not lol. So let us know when you get that wrote up Big Tap!

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized the other day mine doesn't do anything, all the way to the floor or not lol. So let us know when you get that wrote up Big Tap!

x2 i have to do my rear brakes, new dust sheilds, and take a look my e-brake shoes.

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can honestly say, that ever since I've owned cars with automatic transmissions, I've NEVER used the emergency brake.
I wouldn't even know if it works on my Tahoe, or if it worked on my previous Grand Cherokee or my Caprice before that.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
I can honestly say, that ever since I've owned cars with automatic transmissions, I've NEVER used the emergency brake.
I wouldn't even know if it works on my Tahoe, or if it worked on my previous Grand Cherokee or my Caprice before that.

Exactly!!!

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
checking trans fluid in neutral with ebrake is why i have checked my ebrake, but yeah i don't use mine.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
I only like to have it as a back up. INcase the main brakes fail for some reason. Now this e brake set up is not how I Would want it as it would be super hard to ABS stop with these, with an ebrake if you just slam it down, the rears lock up and you go for a couple spins. Which is why in sportys cars there by your hand. I wish that was the case here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo