How to replace your wheel hub assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShotgunD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4wd wheel hub removal

Mine was probably the hardest anyone ever had to to. Regarding the spline nut, I used a 24inch breaker bar and a 4 foot piece of 2 inch drainpipe for a cheater bar. That was pretty easy to break the 200lb of torque. I got all the bolts off pretty easy, but getting the hub assembly off was a total pain in the rear. I had to do a lot of chiseling and prying and wd40 around the whole seem, not sure if it really helped, but I didn't see any daylight between the seam until I started banging on boths side of the hub assembly with my 20lb sledgehammer. I really whacked it hard, turned the wheel so I could get a little angle, little by little from both sides, turning the wheel back and forth, I finally got it off there.

2002 Z71 Tahoe 4WD

Big Poppa Pump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
old thread i know, but any additional parts needed besides the replacement bearing?
No. You may want to use some loctite on the three bolts on the back of the hub. The hub and bearings are one complete part due to the fact that it is sealed and cannot be serviced. Make sure you order the hub that comes with the sensor.

Big Poppa Pump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
old thread i know, but any additional parts needed besides the replacement bearing?
I just completed the job. You may wish to buy the hub bolts to have on hand if you live in an area that uses road salt. My bolts were so bad I had to chisel off the heads and then extract the rest due to rust deterioration of the bolt head. Only 2 of the total of six (Did both sides) came out clean. The good news is that it fixed the problems I was having and my truck is now back to being dependable.

88hawkfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely get some extra bolts, our local auto parts stores didn't stock them so I had to wait until Monday to get some spares. Drivers side came off unbelievably easy, but the passenger side took a couple hours of grinding and banging with a sledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC