How to replace your wheel hub assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Too easy. Loosen the lugs. Jack the wheel off the ground, remove the tire. Put 2 lugs back on to hold the disc on. Jam a wrench in the disc so the wrench binds at the caliper, so the disc can't turn. Remove the hub nut (200lbs!!!). Remove the wrench from the disc, and the 2 lug nuts holding it on. Loosen the 2 bolts holding the caliper to the spindle, and remove the caliper. Remove the disc- it should just fall off at this point. Turn the hub assembly so that the 3 holes on it line up with the 3 bolts holding it to the spindle. Remove the 3 bolts. Remove the 2 bolts holding the ABS wire to the upper control arm and the frame, and unclip the ABS wire. Pull the hub off. Install is the exact reverse.
:headbang:

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too easy. Loosen the lugs. Jack the wheel off the ground, remove the tire. Put 2 lugs back on to hold the disc on. Jam a wrench in the disc so the wrench binds at the caliper, so the disc can't turn. Remove the hub nut (200lbs!!!). Remove the wrench from the disc, and the 2 lug nuts holding it on. Loosen the 2 bolts holding the caliper to the spindle, and remove the caliper. Remove the disc- it should just fall off at this point. Turn the hub assembly so that the 3 holes on it line up with the 3 bolts holding it to the spindle. Remove the 3 bolts. Remove the 2 bolts holding the ABS wire to the upper control arm and the frame, and unclip the ABS wire. Pull the hub off. Install is the exact reverse.
:headbang:

damit i hella need to do this, these a rubbing noise coming from that area and i have no clue what it is....

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is ti really as simple as that or can it be more difficult on my 10yr 180,000mile yukon. are there any special tools needed. ive heard that you would need an impact or super long wrench to bust that center spline nut. ive also seen different vids where some took more the hub assembly off and had to torch that nut to come off and other vids did it like explained above. do you have any pics to go with this "how to"?

1BAD9T7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 4wd hubs, you will need a 36mm socket to remove the nut, other than that, pretty basic tools will get you by. A 3/8" hex for removing the calipers, 15mm socket for the hubs themselves, and I "think" it was a 10mm for something else... I have done it plenty of times, but it has been a long time ago. I used to work at a motorsports shop where we did this quite often... Like said originally, it is VERY easy as long as you have basic mechanical knowledge!

Jason

newmarketeod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could do what I did for accidental removal and forget to put the axle nut back on while installing a lift kit haha.

Attachments

• brokechev1.jpg
    brokechev1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 106
  • brokechev2.jpg
    brokechev2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 165

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut