How to refill DEF in Diesel Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those 2.5 gallon cans you buy at the store frequently have leaks around the filler tube that will end up running down the side of your vehicle. Also, I've seen more than 1 instance of stored 2.5 gallon DEF cans going bad which will lead to your dash lighting up like a Christmas tree and a nice dealership visit.

Do you have any idea how much DEF wal mart goes thru in a week? I’m saying at least 1 to 2 skids a week. Zero chance of finding aged DEF there…They rotate stock and relocate the shelves it goes on at least once a month in my area. Much more convenient than wrestling with the big rig pumps with a Kenworth on your A$$. Probably used 20 jugs from them in the last 3-5 years…never had one leak, and they are excellent containers to drain your engine oil straight into with a fumoto valve.
Whenever I’ve had any emission related issue, they always check my DEF with a refractometer and it has always read perfect. The fluid itself has never been the source of any of my problems…..

MajorJakkov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how much DEF wal mart goes thru in a week? I’m saying at least 1 to 2 skids a week. Zero chance of finding aged DEF there…They rotate stock and relocate the shelves it goes on at least once a month in my area. Much more convenient than wrestling with the big rig pumps with a Kenworth on your A$$. Probably used 20 jugs from them in the last 3-5 years…never had one leak, and they are excellent containers to drain your engine oil straight into with a fumoto valve.
Whenever I’ve had any emission related issue, they always check my DEF with a refractometer and it has always read perfect. The fluid itself has never been the source of any of my problems…..

Definitely not saying you are wrong, everyone has their own experience which is why I shared mine. A close friend of mine had his 2018 cummins at the dealership twice for poor quality DEF that clogged his injector. He always bought his at the store (Blue DEF or whatever the brand is). I had the collapsible extension hoses from 2 of the plastic containers leak all over the engine of my new duramax before I said FK that and I've been going to truck stops at my convenience ever since. My 2019 has the DEF fill under the hood which is a terrible design and certainly makes using the jugs more difficult. Hence, the truck stop DEF nozzle.

Plastic DEF jugs must be good for the environment too :D

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic DEF jugs must be good for the environment too :D

I used to get my fuzz up over this till I figured out these jugs are going to exist whether I use them or not. They go in our recycling bin when done, just like Tide bottles and milk jugs. Unless they are going to outlaw plastic containers, I'm going to use them as I need them. I also reuse them for waste oil containers to dump at auto parts stores, then recycle them.

I believe in good stewardship of the environment, but I'm not fanatic, nor do I worry about what others are doing.....Its all I can do to keep my own &^%# straight...

Last edited:

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using capless fuel fills since 2010 and have not had any problems with dirt and contaminants getting into the fuel tand.

OP
OP

100cars

Reaction score

From what I've seen over the years, the "poor quality" DEF messages are usually from a bad heater or faulty sensor or something like that.

I have been using capless fuel fills since 2010 and have not had any problems with dirt and contaminants getting into the fuel tand.

That's good to know. We've been having some hard rains here recently and I was wondering how much of that is getting into my tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnimalMother