How to refill DEF in Diesel Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Deisel exhaust fluid
Supposed to make the exhaust "cleaner" and not as polluting. Started Around 2008, and has been nothing but issues with the systems since then. And there have been studies showing DEF does not actually provide any positive results for what it is supposed to do.

My .02 that’s mostly misinformation spread by the coal rollers that are against any form of environmental regulation. I’ve been driving diesels my whole life, and I’m sitting in a 2018 at this moment. Which has more power per cubic inch than any of it’s predecessors, is quiet, doesn’t coat what I tow in soot. And has the best fuel economy, and that includes the cost of the DEF.

It’s the same sort of nostalgia that pines for the simple days when gas engines had points and condensers, and carburetors. No thanks.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to wiki DEF usage is 2% - 6% of diesel consumption, at least 2 gal to the 100, so filling that tank is going to be a regular exercise.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The location of the DEF tank is correct. Food for thought … the DEF tanks on the 3/4 & 1T trucks have bigger tanks. Would it be an easy swap, dimensions allowing for it, to add a bigger factory DEF tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .02 that’s mostly misinformation spread by the coal rollers that are against any form of environmental regulation. I’ve been driving diesels my whole life, and I’m sitting in a 2018 at this moment. Which has more power per cubic inch than any of it’s predecessors, is quiet, doesn’t coat what I tow in soot. And has the best fuel economy, and that includes the cost of the DEF.

It’s the same sort of nostalgia that pines for the simple days when gas engines had points and condensers, and carburetors. No thanks.

Same here... I'm on my 4th one, they've had a few quirks, sure... But by and large they have whipped the snot out of any of the petrol engines that were other options. Mileage and range is far superior, and when stations are out of gas... they are never out of Diesel....
Also @Quark , you fill your mower every few times you use it don't you? What's your point? Filling your DEF is basically done every time you change your oil. Takes a whole 90 seconds to dump 2.5 gal and 7.00$ in from Wal mart and move on with your life. A total non issue.
DMax bonus points: No lifter issues....

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here... I'm on my 4th one, they've had a few quirks, sure... But by and large they have whipped the snot out of any of the petrol engines that were other options. Mileage and range is far superior, and when stations are out of gas... they are never out of Diesel....
Also @Quark , you fill your mower every few times you use it don't you? What's your point? Filling your DEF is basically done every time you change your oil. Takes a whole 90 seconds to dump 2.5 gal and 7.00$ in from Wal mart and move on with your life. A total non issue.
DMax bonus points: No lifter issues....

No offense but I don't change my oil every 100 gallons of fuel usage. I have no experience so what am I missing?

MajorJakkov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree with those that think the emissions systems are good. You'll never convince me that riding around in my duramax getting 10 mpg because it is constantly regenerating my DPF is any better for the environment than blowing a little smoke/NOx while getting over 20 mpg. Particulates in the air causing lung diseases was one of the main drivers for the exhaust systems, which is only a problem if you're constantly driving around in a metropolitan area. For 97% of America, particulates dissipate in the open air and there's zero issue.

For those that need DEF, I've found that using truck fuel stations is helpful. They have DEF at the pump and the inventory seems to turn over frequently since big rigs fill larger tanks. Those 2.5 gallon cans you buy at the store frequently have leaks around the filler tube that will end up running down the side of your vehicle. Also, I've seen more than 1 instance of stored 2.5 gallon DEF cans going bad which will lead to your dash lighting up like a Christmas tree and a nice dealership visit.

OP
OP

100cars

Reaction score
Do you have to put it in?
Must you use it?

I really am curious

Yes - If you don't put it in there the car will limit your speed. First it's like 65 MPH, then 55, then like 3 MPH.

Respectfully disagree with those that think the emissions systems are good. You'll never convince me that riding around in my duramax getting 10 mpg because it is constantly regenerating my DPF is any better for the environment than blowing a little smoke/NOx while getting over 20 mpg. Particulates in the air causing lung diseases was one of the main drivers for the exhaust systems, which is only a problem if you're constantly driving around in a metropolitan area. For 97% of America, particulates dissipate in the open air and there's zero issue.

For those that need DEF, I've found that using truck fuel stations is helpful. They have DEF at the pump and the inventory seems to turn over frequently since big rigs fill larger tanks. Those 2.5 gallon cans you buy at the store frequently have leaks around the filler tube that will end up running down the side of your vehicle. Also, I've seen more than 1 instance of stored 2.5 gallon DEF cans going bad which will lead to your dash lighting up like a Christmas tree and a nice dealership visit.

Can you use the same pump the truckers use, or are there high pressure nozzles like the diesel pumps?

MajorJakkov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes - If you don't put it in there the car will limit your speed. First it's like 65 MPH, then 55, then like 3 MPH.

Can you use the same pump the truckers use, or are there high pressure nozzles like the diesel pumps?

At the stations I've used, yes the DEF nozzle is the same across the board. The pump typically has a separate blue or black handle on the side that is much more narrow than a fueling nozzle (possibly a 3/8" tube). You might be thinking of the diesel pump nozzle size vs a truck stop's pump nozzle size? The truck stop diesel nozzle is usually larger and may not fit in your vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts