How to install E-Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Step 1 - Pop hood
IMG_2699.jpg

Step 2 - Remove intake tube (This is only IF you want extra space...I didnt pull mine this time but you might want to)

Step 3 - Remove two top bolts and pull coolant line clip out of shroud

t1.jpg

Step 4 - The Fan Shroud is two pieces. A top and a bottom. They are connected in the middle by clips. This picture was taken out of the vehicle so that you could see...they are a pain to get out

t2.jpg

Step 5 - Remove the top shroud by pushing the coolant line and working the shroud side to side...Also, the shroud has a lip that holds it down...push it back towards the engine and you will see it come out from under the radiator support bar on top... it will be a pain in the ass, just be patient...dont be afraid to use some force and bend the shroud to get it out. (LEAVE BOTTOM SHROUD ALONE FOR NOW)

Step 7 - With the bottom shroud still in place, you can begin removing the Clutch Fan.

IMG_0266.jpg

Lock the pulley? with one of these tools below (except the crescent wrench)

IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2732.jpg
IMG_2736.jpg

You can also use the Vise Grips...dont worry bout chewing up the pulley? because it wont harm it

IMG_2737.jpg

After locking the tool in place (to prevent the pulley? from spinning, throw your large crescent wrench on the nut
IMG_2735.jpg

Your locking tool (vise grips or other) will slide off a few times if you dont have it clamped on well enough...be patient.

Remove the clutch fan by loosening the nut between the pulley? and the back of the fan. After you break it loose, you can spin it by hand to take it off...it'll probly fall if you dont grab it in time lol...

With the Clutch fan removed, you can now pull the bottom shroud out..BE SURE TO REMOVE the metal oil? line clip from the bottom shroud..it should now look like this..

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Now its time to connect the wiring harness that you received from Justin to the OEM 05+ Tahoe Radiator fans that you purchased.
IMG_2701.jpg

The LAST clip on the harness connects to the passenger side fan..duh

Look at the bottom of the fans...you will see 3 rubber feet with slits in them. Now look in your engine bay at the bottom of the radiator tray and notice the ridge. That ridge will slide into those rubber feet! Also notice the arm on the sides of the new fan assembly. You will see where they go when you start to install the fans.

Slide the fans down and get them into position..not much detail needs to be explained..you'll figure this part out pretty easy...bolt it back in, clip the metal oil lines back in at the bottom, clip the coolant line back on top...Your fans are now installed...

NOW on to installing the wiring harness..

Disconnect your battery if you want...I didnt...and nothing happened..but Im not taking the blame if you do something and fry your truck...

Your computer usually has a black cover over it...pull it off...theres little tabs you have you pull to remove it..good luck! haha
pcm.jpg

Then remove the tabs holding the PCM? in....unbolt the two connectors...and pull those POS gray covers OFF!!!

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

There are two long plugs...unbolt them both..(but ONLY work on ONE AT A TIME!!!!!!)

When you unbolt and pull each connection, one will have a green cover over the pins, and one will have a blue cover over the pins...

Pull whichever one you want first...unclip the colored cover...and slide the pin into the correct slot from the top...
(Green wire goes to green covered connection, Blue wire goes to the blue connection)

Blue wire gets pushed into the blue covered #42 slot (be sure to take the colored covers off while doing this, then put them back on when done)

Green wire gets pushed into the green covered #33?? slot (Im not 100% sure if thats the correct pin number...someone chime in)

*the wires will have tags on them, telling you what slots to put them in*

Its a pain in the ass to get them all the way through the clip...I had to push the pin in as far as I could by hand, grab something thin and long (no jokes please lol)..like a toothpick or something like that and push it in a little more till I could grab the metal connection and pull it through the other side with needle nose pliers...I did bend the with teeth on the connection plug a little bit so that I could grab a hold of the wire

Last edited:

TIM Z

DMAX Power
Reaction score
That is a great write up that will help a lot of guys out!

I did this on my old 04 Z71 and just today on my 95, not hard at alll and worth it!

OP
OP
BlizzardX23

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wires get pushed into the clip...in the same direction as all the stock wires...you have to read the numbers on the clip and find the correct slot for the wire...then push the pin (end of the wire) through the back of the clip

You can PM me if you need

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How the hell have I not seen this thread before!? Now I have another thing to buy and install this summer

OP
OP
BlizzardX23

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol....better get to work...be sure to post pictures of the install...you can just throw them up in here...hit me up if you need any help

OP
OP
BlizzardX23

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hopnestly, I just tucked them away....they dont have to be mounted anywhere...although, if you think its a must, then theres no harm in that.

Or you can just use some zip ties and zip them to something out of the way...maybe I might have done that...

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did mine and waiting for my tune date next weekend to get the #42 pin activated. I bought the fans off eBay and they came with the Nelson Performance wiring harness. I noticed Nelsons' has only the blue #42 wire that goes to the blue harness on the PCM. The green wire taps into a green wire in the harness that goes to the engine. Odd but it works.. Since the #42 pin isn't activated yet I hooked up a switch that sends a negative pulse to the blue wire hence activating the low speed on the fans.
The high speed comes on once the AC is turned on like it should..

I do feel a difference in throttle response and I'm sure I'll notice some mileage gains as well, also the AC cools faster and colder now.

Great write up Blizz. You beat me to it..

OP
OP
BlizzardX23

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro...I know I kinda half-assed it...but I did it to try and help..hope it worked for you!

Do you have any pictures of the install? and did you get dual fans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons