How To: Convert to Escalade Third Brake Light (Simple Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great write up..........cuz i just got mine in the mail.....but it needs to be painted......so only the center lights up......if so whats the part number for that putco sumo......thanks

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
great write up..........cuz i just got mine in the mail.....but it needs to be painted......so only the center lights up......if so whats the part number for that putco sumo......thanks

putco ion chrome 930217
Putco clear 900217

pnap88p

Reaction score
great mod i would love the one that lights up across the full top though.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

putco ion chrome 930217
Putco clear 900217

which one of these it the one with the red lens and where did you end up ordering it as putco only sends you to other dealers.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Didn't see a write-up on this so figured I would contribute something to this place. This is a VERY easy mod, takes literally 10 minutes if that.

With the help of Sumo, I was able to score an already painted black Escalade 3rd brake light from a 2008 Escalade, all complete, for $102.50.

Got it in the mail today and put it on immediately. Here's the how to:

This is what your stock 3rd brake light on the 07+ Tahoe, Suburban, Denali, and Yukon's would look like..
DSCN0896.jpg

These are the tools you'll need: 10mm nut driver and a small star-bit. The two nuts and three bolts seen in this pic will be removed through this process and reinstalled with the new brake light.
DSCN0901.jpg

Open up the glass and remove the two 10mm nuts from the hinges which attaches to the brake light housing (as seen in the pic). Also using the appropriate star-bit, remove the three bolts as pictured. They should all come out fairly easy, with very little resistance. You can also reach in and loosen the harness in the picture, but don't attempt to remove it just yet!
DSCN0902a.jpg

This is what it all looks like removed:
DSCN0895a.jpg

DSCN0894.jpg

DSCN0893.jpg

Now, open the liftgate up which will give you access to the wire harness. Remove the rubber grommet and pull a few inches of the wire out, it will come out freely without resistance. This will eventually expose the clip. Use a small screwdriver and pop the clip.
DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0892.jpg

Now, close the lift gate gently, slowly lower the glass, and gently remove the old stock 3rd brake light.
Wallah!
DSCN0897.jpg

Here is the old next to the new!
DSCN0898.jpg

Now, do everything you just did in reverse! Here is the outcome!
DSCN0904a.jpg

DSCN0907a.jpg

Next up will be the Escalade tail light conversion. :Handshake:

the picture showing both non installed lights shows in the trunk a little cubby hole area on the left side i do not have this in my truck what year and model is that. mine is a 2008 ltz with bose and remote on and power liftgate??

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a 2008 LTZ Suburban, every option available except 4WD. Probably don't have that unless you have the suburban.

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
I want to do this, but I can't stand the fact that only the middle lights up. I took your guys' on it, that even on the Escalade, only the center lights up. Well, today I found out that it isn't true. Today on the freeway, a nice black Escalade passed, and put on their brakes, me being the car geek I am, looked at the third brake light, and the entire thing lit up. I was amazed, and from that point on today, off & on, I've been thinking of how I could hopefully find a way to make the Esky third brake light light up completely. Anyone have any insight, at all?

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to do this, but I can't stand the fact that only the middle lights up. I took your guys' on it, that even on the Escalade, only the center lights up. Well, today I found out that it isn't true. Today on the freeway, a nice black Escalade passed, and put on their brakes, me being the car geek I am, looked at the third brake light, and the entire thing lit up. I was amazed, and from that point on today, off & on, I've been thinking of how I could hopefully find a way to make the Esky third brake light light up completely. Anyone have any insight, at all?

thats not a stock third brake light. That is a PUTCO LED light that they put into the stock escalade housing. Sumo did this already. The housing will run you about $200 and the LED strip will run you another $300.

plush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO what is the OEM part # for this as I am still looking for a black one. May just order it online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700