How To: Convert to Escalade Third Brake Light (Simple Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a write-up on this so figured I would contribute something to this place. This is a VERY easy mod, takes literally 10 minutes if that.

With the help of Sumo, I was able to score an already painted black Escalade 3rd brake light from a 2008 Escalade, all complete, for $102.50.

Got it in the mail today and put it on immediately. Here's the how to:

This is what your stock 3rd brake light on the 07+ Tahoe, Suburban, Denali, and Yukon's would look like..
DSCN0896.jpg

These are the tools you'll need: 10mm nut driver and a small star-bit. The two nuts and three bolts seen in this pic will be removed through this process and reinstalled with the new brake light.
DSCN0901.jpg

Open up the glass and remove the two 10mm nuts from the hinges which attaches to the brake light housing (as seen in the pic). Also using the appropriate star-bit, remove the three bolts as pictured. They should all come out fairly easy, with very little resistance. You can also reach in and loosen the harness in the picture, but don't attempt to remove it just yet!
DSCN0902a.jpg

This is what it all looks like removed:
DSCN0895a.jpg

DSCN0894.jpg

DSCN0893.jpg

Now, open the liftgate up which will give you access to the wire harness. Remove the rubber grommet and pull a few inches of the wire out, it will come out freely without resistance. This will eventually expose the clip. Use a small screwdriver and pop the clip.
DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0892.jpg

Now, close the lift gate gently, slowly lower the glass, and gently remove the old stock 3rd brake light.
Wallah!
DSCN0897.jpg

Here is the old next to the new!
DSCN0898.jpg

Now, do everything you just did in reverse! Here is the outcome!
DSCN0904a.jpg

DSCN0907a.jpg

Next up will be the Escalade tail light conversion. :Handshake:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up dude!!!

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow $100 mod and you have a new rear end lol your trucks looks great. Looks like ill add it on the to do list. It seems to add up real quickly but it doesnt seem to shorten hahaha

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the compliments guys (on the mod and the write-up). I'm going to do another write-up on the Escalade tail lamp conversion here shortly. As long as I can get to it this weekend! :shake:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Nice Mayn!, I unplugged it at the Light instead of removing the Grommet. Now its time to upgrade to the Putco :happy107:
picture.php

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, ur not gonna like me for this..sigh.. but i dont like the putco. it looks like the "line of fire" to me. If the LEDs were closer, maybe double the amount, I'd like it more. :(

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll be honest, ur not gonna like me for this..sigh.. But i dont like the putco. It looks like the "line of fire" to me. If the leds were closer, maybe double the amount, i'd like it more. :(

LOL!

Nice write up man! The back end of our vehicles are almost twins :Handshake:

latest4.jpg

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Looks good, but the entire light doesn't light up? Only the center?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good, but the entire light doesn't light up? Only the center?

I believe that's how esky lights function ... the other leds are fo sho.

Hence the Putcos. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9