How to clean fuel injectors ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvettetim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey group, the other night I got the check engine light come on. I was close to an Autozone so I stopped and had them read the codes. Came back as "dirty fuel injector/injectors". Put some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank and went on my way. Light went out a while later that night. That was 2 days ago and then today it came back on again, ran codes at home and came back with "bank 1 running lean". So I am thinking that the injectors need a good cleaning. Truck is running great and getting 14 to 15.5 mpg according to the DIC. Put a can of Seafoam in the tank this afternoon but I know that is just a band-aid. What is a good way to clean the injectors without a complete tear down of the fuel system It is a 2007 Yukon Denali with 213,000 on the clock on a 6.2. Thanks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I use Seafoam about every 12 tanks of fuel, just for my piece of mind. I also use, 99% of the time, only Chevron Plus, mid grade, fuel. I have also used Chevron Techron additive when I was not using Seafoam. Did the additives make a difference? Your guess is as good as mine. With 213k miles on the clock, it may be time for a new set on injectors. I was having no problems with my 05 and at about 145k, is in my build thread, I just up and replaced the injectors and all coils. The engine woke up a bit for sure.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whatever injector cleaner you use is mostly sized (dosed) for maintenance, so you'll probably need to double up on the dose and run it in consecutive tanks if the cause of the lean code is actually an injector. Also remember that these tanks are larger than a car, so the injector cleaner may be too diluted to work efficiently. I like to use the Techron fuel system cleaner. Also be sure you're using E10 gas that has up to 10% ethanol; that will help clean the fuel system, too.

Along with @OR VietVet I'd be curious to know what codes are showing up. You may need to dig further into it and take a look at some fuel trims to help diagnose.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for the code(s). There are no monitors specifically to tell if the injectors are dirty. Yes, clogged fuel injectors could cause a lean condition. But, there might not be an actual failure with the injectors and the DTC could be a failing O2 sensor erroneously reporting Bank 1 being lean. A failing O2 sensor could also cause a lean (or rich) condition.

The DTC for the engine running rich or lean is determined by the O2 sensors. If the problem is isolated to one bank, a quick at-home test for the sensor is to swap it with the one on the other bank and seeing if the code changes to Bank 2 running lean. If your undercarriage is rusted, don't even try this unless you plan to replace the sensors. Other common causes for a lean condition (perceived or actual) are exhaust leak ahead of the sensor and intake manifold leak, although this one usually causes a rich condition.

As for additives, I'm a fan of Berryman B-12. It's about half the price of Seafoam and more potent. I run my tank to around 1/4 tank or less and add a can. I run it until really low then fill up. Unless running E85, I stick to Chevron/Texaco or Exxon. NEVER Shell. I use the B-12 every 3-4 refuelings.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
Agree with a higher concentration of in tank fuel cleaner. That is the fastest way to clean, and since it has already helped I would keep doing high concentration cleaner with every fuel add for the next couple of tanks and then switch to maintenance mode along with top tier gas.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for the code(s). There are no monitors specifically to tell if the injectors are dirty. Yes, clogged fuel injectors could cause a lean condition. But, there might not be an actual failure with the injectors and the DTC could be a failing O2 sensor erroneously reporting Bank 1 being lean. A failing O2 sensor could also cause a lean (or rich) condition.

The DTC for the engine running rich or lean is determined by the O2 sensors. If the problem is isolated to one bank, a quick at-home test for the sensor is to swap it with the one on the other bank and seeing if the code changes to Bank 2 running lean. If your undercarriage is rusted, don't even try this unless you plan to replace the sensors. Other common causes for a lean condition (perceived or actual) are exhaust leak ahead of the sensor and intake manifold leak, although this one usually causes a rich condition.

As for additives, I'm a fan of Berryman B-12. It's about half the price of Seafoam and more potent. I run my tank to around 1/4 tank or less and add a can. I run it until really low then fill up. Unless running E85, I stick to Chevron/Texaco or Exxon. NEVER Shell. I use the B-12 every 3-4 refuelings.
Just curious.... Why NEVER Shell?

NardDog

Reaction score
Pulling the fuel rails is not a hard job really, look for and clean out the clogged injectors, and install new o rings. Ive seen some videos on youtube where guys will hook up a 9v battery and get them to open and spray cleaner through them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts