How fast have you had your tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hundhaus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My PPV 2010 with Diablo maxed out 140 when I was in Mexico ;) My Callaway has seen 145 also in Mexico. My 86 Vette with lots of work into it hit 165 in TN in this crazy dream I had, now that was a scary dream!

OP
OP
Eod1

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Usually the top speed of anything has everything to do with the user not the equipment. If you are not willing to push it to the point that you just ran out of pedel or you are riding the rev limiter then you know what the capabilities of your equipment really are. I can tell you. The more push the easier it is because you are use to it.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
85. Don’t see a reason to drive a slow suv faster than that.
I have to agree.

But I also have a car in the garage that was put together with the intention of doing 1/2 mile events, as well as having the ability to drive it to the grocery store. It has done plenty of both, and been well over 170mph at a WannaGoFast event.

OP
OP
Eod1

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Here is something to think about. Out here in AZ our state police,DPS, has full time SWAT guys. Our SWAT guys have ford, dodge and chevy 4x4 trucks. All unmarked and all have revlimiters installed on them. Most are limited around 85 to 90 I believe soon maybe a little faster. Now they are on call all the time. They are expected to be on site within 1 hr of call out. Being there are only well I can't tell you how many they do or don't have because that would be secret but less than 40 more than 15, riding the revlimiter takes a long time for my buddy to get anywhere fast. Here in AZ you can be on the highway for 1 hr and still look like you haven't moved very far very fast.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Here in FL, many years ago, the state troopers got the camaros.

rps20190217_203203_695.jpg

https://www.flhsmv.gov/florida-high...allery/pg2002/fhp-takes-delivery-200-camaros/

They topped out at 159 MPH.

I don't care how good of a driver you are or how much training you have or how safe the vehicle may be, at those speeds all it takes is a tire to blow out and you can kiss your butt goodbye.

On top of that, I cannot think of any legitimate reason to chase anyone that fast. Maybe back in the day but not any more. With radios and helos there really is no need to endanger the public by persueing anyone at those speeds.

Don't get me wrong, on a closed course it would be fun to top it out but with other drivers on the road there are just too many variables.

It used to be that a lot of drivers didn't drive past there hood ornaments (you younger cats can look that up) but now most people don't drive past the cell phone in their hand.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 216742

https://www.flhsmv.gov/florida-high...allery/pg2002/fhp-takes-delivery-200-camaros/

I don't care how good of a driver you are or how much training you have or how safe the vehicle may be, at those speeds all it takes is a tire to blow out and you can kiss your butt goodbye.

On top of that, I cannot think of any legitimate reason to chase anyone that fast. Maybe back in the day but not any more. With radios and helos there really is no need to endanger the public by persueing anyone at those speeds.

Don't get me wrong, on a closed course it would be fun to top it out but with other drivers on the road there are just too many variables.

It used to be that a lot of drivers didn't drive past there hood ornaments (you younger cats can look that up) but now most people don't drive past the cell phone in their hand.
true, pretty easy to wipe out not only yourself but anyone around you as well.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Car and Driver said years ago that, “the right highway speed is somewhere close to 85MPH”. I like Car and Driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 216742

North Carolina did as well. Those Troopers that have been around that long will tell you how much they miss them, too. It's cool that NC SHP has kept one up in excellent condition, it is part of a historic collection of their previous cars that they take to various places (like the NC State Fair, etc).

One part of NC Highway Patrol training involves multiple phases out on this track below. When I was going through a certification class at the Highway Patrol facility, we got the chance to "take a break" and went to watch for a short bit there. One particular phase we saw a Crown Vic coming off of the track and heading to the gas pump. First thing I noticed were belts hanging out of a couple of tires. What they were doing was maintaining a designated speed (I can't recall, it was somewhere above 80-90mph) and they had to experience a tire blowout. There were 4 people in the car, all were riding together and were switching after a blowout until all 4 had one. This particular crew had tires that wouldn't just let go, so they had to come in an fill up on fuel again. Of course it made for a good laugh, but it was certainly interesting.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...0a2b998ffb2c42!8m2!3d35.7344355!4d-78.6299544

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972