How do thieves circumvent the passlock theft deterrent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I get ......... I want to talk about how this is a COMPLETE lack of street smarts to post something like this. Isn't this about the same time when all the hyundai and kia thefts started too. I also don't think this is how, I think I know how, and I'm not going to say how.

Personally, the best way to prevent theft is to wire in a kill switch.
Disconnect your battery, pull up the fuse panel, and pull out either the: injection or fuel pump connector pin off the panel. Wire a switch in line, and feed it into the cab. Route your wire hidden and install whatever switch that can't be seen. You could wiire it flush to the kick panel, under the seat to where you can only feel for it, under the center console, under the dash, heck wire it up the a-pillar and replace a map light. You could even swap make it the onstar button. Could even do a small push button above the pedals that you step on, kinda like the old high beam truck switches. It could also be completely under the carpet lets say next to the seat, where it's completely hidden even if looking right at it, and won't get accidentally kicked, and can be engaged with, where your passenger wouldn't even notice. (I THINK IT'S BEST NOT SAY EXACTLY WHERE TO PUT IT). Wire it back up and connect it in. If you can find a hidden spot, you could even just splice it in in-line.

If you really want to be slick about it, you could even (go pull if you need to, and) use old wiring so it blends in on both sides of the firewall.
This is FAR from the first time it was posted on the internet how this is done, it's been well known, especially by thieves for nearly two decades. That's why they target them. Quite a few other vehicles of that era had the same vulnerability. Of course you shouldn't post it if it was some deep, dark secret, but it's not. My purpose in explaining it was so that victims or potential victims could understand how the thieves do it in order to be better able to protect against it.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a series of posts in a GMT800 group I am also a member of, around the time someone tried to steal our trucks from our driveway. And this was a suggested solution as well. Except, a smart thief is going to be in and out before they know you are there. Also, are you going to shoot them in the back? Is it worth taking a life to save a vehicle? I *really* had to struggle with that one. I decided it was not worthwhile to potentially kill someone for stealing my truck. Your -- equally valid -- opinion may be different. It's just that if I am going to subject myself to the trauma of shooting/killing someone, it better be something EXTREMELY worthwhile -- and truck doesn't do that for me (again, no judgement if it does it for you; just sharing my thinking).

EDIT: I was trained to shoot by a retired marine. I have the capability, just a lack of desire.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Also, are you going to shoot them in the back? Is it worth taking a life to save a vehicle? I *really* had to struggle with that one. I decided it was not worthwhile to potentially kill someone for stealing my truck. Your -- equally valid -- opinion may be different. It's just that if I am going to subject myself to the trauma of shooting/killing someone, it better be something EXTREMELY worthwhile -- and truck doesn't do that for me (again, no judgement if it does it for you; just sharing my thinking).

EDIT: I was trained to shoot by a retired marine. I have the capability, just a lack of desire.
My way of thinking was that the tool in my hand would be a great persuader for the thief to give up or run away.

For many men, that vehicle is their livelihood. Without it, even for a few weeks, could be disastrous. Living in the wrong city or state could be even more disastrous if the fellow defends his property and is forced to use deadly force.

Like you, I believe every man must decide what's the best course of action to take in such a situation, doing nothing also being a valid course of action.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is FAR from the first time it was posted on the internet how this is done, it's been well known, especially by thieves for nearly two decades. That's why they target them. Quite a few other vehicles of that era had the same vulnerability. Of course you shouldn't post it if it was some deep, dark secret, but it's not. My purpose in explaining it was so that victims or potential victims could understand how the thieves do it in order to be better able to protect against it.
You go ahead and keep telling yourself that. You literally just tried to give out a detailed how-to steal an NBS, in a thread titled, "What electrical do I need to know to steal an NBS."

Does it matter if it's in a million places on the internet, why are you making it a million and one? How on earth do you talk yourself into thinking you are part of the solution? You certainly are cutting down on their search time.

"Victims" don't need to know that ahead of time, and you didn't get it right. I'm just gonna move on, but that is a complete lack of common sense to post that, and if you actually think you are helping, then any further conversation is going to be a waste of time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a series of posts in a GMT800 group I am also a member of, around the time someone tried to steal our trucks from our driveway. And this was a suggested solution as well. Except, a smart thief is going to be in and out before they know you are there. Also, are you going to shoot them in the back? Is it worth taking a life to save a vehicle? I *really* had to struggle with that one. I decided it was not worthwhile to potentially kill someone for stealing my truck. Your -- equally valid -- opinion may be different. It's just that if I am going to subject myself to the trauma of shooting/killing someone, it better be something EXTREMELY worthwhile -- and truck doesn't do that for me (again, no judgement if it does it for you; just sharing my thinking).

this is true and the law pretty much everwhere is in agreement that if the assailant is fleeing then that makes you the agressor. Therefore subject to criminal charges.
you can always legally protect yourself and others "IF" xxxxxx
choose your battles wisely.
and if you are ever in some questionable circumstance keep your lips closed and get a lawyer because "anything you say can and will be used against you" read that again.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You go ahead and keep telling yourself that. You literally just tried to give out a detailed how-to steal an NBS, in a thread titled, "What electrical do I need to know to steal an NBS."

Does it matter if it's in a million places on the internet, why are you making it a million and one? How on earth do you talk yourself into thinking you are part of the solution? You certainly are cutting down on their search time.

"Victims" don't need to know that ahead of time, and you didn't get it right. I'm just gonna move on, but that is a complete lack of common sense to post that, and if you actually think you are helping, then any further conversation is going to be a waste of time.
great anaology but most of these low life's learn how to steal from another thief and have been moving around with the wrong crowd already and /or have had poor parenting or life skills. drug abuse, etc the list is long. a good person (in general) does not go decide one day to google how to steal a car and then go out and try it. Most lack any sense or morals already. It's a societal issue.
I have watched a ton of m*urder documentaries, doesn't mean I plan on killing anyone. although I have considered it, but is the crime worth the time? in most cases thus far no.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don’t have to die, they just need some love from a 100 lb German Shepard while running away from the scene.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don’t have to die, they just need some love from a 100 lb German Shepard while running away from the scene.
Unfortunately, that causes the dog to have to be quarantined for a couple weeks, and adds a mark to the dog's record. If the dog bites again, it could result in the forced destruction of the dog.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note, an acquaintance of mine talked about how he stopped some thieves from getting away with his tools, once. He put a hole or two in their rear differential and then just followed and waited. When they abandoned their truck, he grabbed his tools, went home, and reported the vehicle.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that causes the dog to have to be quarantined for a couple weeks, and adds a mark to the dog's record. If the dog bites again, it could result in the forced destruction of the dog.
that's why you keep records for your pet: license, shot record, certifications, etc. printed and kept in a file to provide as needed. that's all they want to see and covers you legally