How do thieves circumvent the passlock theft deterrent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

briand069

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello

Yesterday I watched a video of someone stealing an 03-07 Silverado in under a minute. The thief pops the driver door then appears to do something around the column, I assume rip the covers off, and then starts the truck and drives away. I have a 03 Suburban so I want to try to protect it the best I can. Obviously towing it is still a possibility. Does anyone know how they bypass the ignition key passlock system? I've seen many trucks and SUV this style on insurance auction sites that are theft recoveries, and they always have the steering column covers broken open, so I know it happens/starts there. I'm not looking for specific instructions obviously, but in general. Do they just force the lock, and it starts due to a flaw in the system or is it more sophisticated? I've been searching the forums but nothing comes up. It does not appear the in the truck in video I watched has onstar because I don't see the antenna on top, so I don't think it's through that.

Brian

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Z71 originally came with factory-installed Onstar system.

When I looked up Onstar activation for my 04, out of curiosity, Onstar's website basically said it was not an option. The Onstar that mine had was based on one type of communication technology and Onstar has since moved on to different satellite communications. Whatever we had was being ditched and will no longer be supported.
At this point, unless you find a new system... Onstar using a factory system from 03 will not be an option to protect your truck.

You may want to look into something like a Viper system and add the Viper SmartStart GPS module. It allows location and speed tracking.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the Python system in all my vehicles (four of them). I just put it in my wife's 2018 RAV4 we just bought a couple weeks ago. It cost me a grand, covers everything and has a mile+ range with the 2-way LCD remote, remote start, etc., plus the Viper SmartStart. Can start the vehicle from about anywhere on the planet, let it run for a specified time and shut itself off or do it manually. Also GPS tracking, status, speed, etc., as mentioned above.

It isn't cheap, but the one in my Tahoe and my Z have been in place for 10 and 8y respectively. It's about time to replace the Tahoe one, it's been messing up. But the peace of mind, the ability to start my truck to warm up from when my plane lands, or even from vacationing thousands of miles away to keep the battery charged is super nice. Can even set it to start up and run if it notes the battery draining, or below certain temps - say if it's -20ºF outside? You can have your vehicle automatically start and run every 3 hours or so to warm itself up and keep things from freezing/locking up, keep the battery good, cab warm, etc.

I've said for years, every vehicle I have will have this two-way paging alarm with remote start on it.

Now that I think about, though, I don't know that I'll go to that extent with the '76 International Scout I picked up. lol. Gotta start working on that this spring, too.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think my truck would be worth dropping a thousand bucks on an alarm. Even with the recent frigid temperatures, I am having a hard enough time convincing myself a remote starter for $270 is worth the expense...
For folks with super nice rigs with lots of upgrades, I totally see the value.

I think mine might be a little further below the radar, if potential thieves are scouting the neighborhood. The neighbor's Audi A6 or my 04 Tahoe with no rocker panels..?
Hmmmm... Maybe my hideous rockers are actually a good theft deterrent! If I fix them, it will probably get boosted!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello

Yesterday I watched a video of someone stealing an 03-07 Silverado in under a minute. The thief pops the driver door then appears to do something around the column, I assume rip the covers off, and then starts the truck and drives away. I have a 03 Suburban so I want to try to protect it the best I can. Obviously towing it is still a possibility. Does anyone know how they bypass the ignition key passlock system? I've seen many trucks and SUV this style on insurance auction sites that are theft recoveries, and they always have the steering column covers broken open, so I know it happens/starts there. I'm not looking for specific instructions obviously, but in general. Do they just force the lock, and it starts due to a flaw in the system or is it more sophisticated? I've been searching the forums but nothing comes up. It does not appear the in the truck in video I watched has onstar because I don't see the antenna on top, so I don't think it's through that.

Brian
must have had a dent puller and replacement ignition switch, it's not as simple as twisting 2 wires together like in the movies......

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I don’t know the answer to your question, but if you’re looking for a simple inexpensive theft prevention measure just install a hidden switch to kill power to the fuel pump or ignition coil circuit. They can crank until hell freezes over and it’ll never start.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I couldnt tell you how they do it, but I can tell you at the Body Shop wed get thefts recoveries all the time in those years with the cylinder torn out, and wed literally stick a flathead screwdriver in and it would start and run so we could pull them into the bays.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know the answer to your question, but if you’re looking for a simple inexpensive theft prevention measure just install a hidden switch to kill power to the fuel pump or ignition coil circuit. They can crank until hell freezes over and it’ll never start.

Better yet use a timed-off system that allows the fuel pump to run for like 2 or 3 minutes. Let them get out on the road then kill it. Their less likely to hang around trying to get it going again when they're dead in the middle of the road attracting attention!!

OP
OP
B

briand069

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far. Without actually testing it, it appears your able to start the vehicle by forcing the ignition lock without a key. Probably the only way to protect against that method would be to have some sort of clamp around the column that isn't easily broken off. Probably not practical. I know there are other ways to prevent theft short of towing. I was just trying to see if there was maybe a simpler way to interrupt a thief's normal mode of operation.

Brian

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Thanks for all the replies so far. Without actually testing it, it appears your able to start the vehicle by forcing the ignition lock without a key. Probably the only way to protect against that method would be to have some sort of clamp around the column that isn't easily broken off. Probably not practical. I know there are other ways to prevent theft short of towing. I was just trying to see if there was maybe a simpler way to interrupt a thief's normal mode of operation.

Brian
Nah

security through obscurity

Make a 2 step starter lockout. Some fun triggers to be held at the same time as the starter:

- Turn signal
- High beams
- Power seat switch
- Stomp bag like police cars have (mash your foot into a specific part of the carpet)

You won't be able to feasibly keep them out of the steering column unless you 3d printed some metal pieces or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2