How do I determine rear axle ratio for my 2015 Tahoe LT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Cronin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We recently purchased a used 2015 Tahoe LT with the intention of purchasing a small (19-22ft) travel trailer. The dealer told me that the vehicle was equipped with the towing package but I need to confirm the axle ratio so I can determine how heavy a trailer I can safely tow. The VIN number for the vehicle is 1GNSCBKC1FR601867. I don't have the original window sticker from Chevy when the vehicle was new.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the bottom of your glove compartment there should be a sticker with RPO codes. That will list all the specs. of your truck. you can find a description here https://www.newgmparts.com/decoding-general-motors-rpo-codes with a link to the RPO codes. There is also a wat to get the original build sheet with RPO codes from Chevrolet. setup a my.chevrolet.com account then you can send a request in like I did below. Received the build sheet a day later.

Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2019 3:01 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: Build Sheet Request

I recently purchased a 2019 Chevrolet Suburban. I have setup a my.chevrolet.com account linked to this email address. Can I get a pdf copy of my build sheet sent to me at this address? VIN 1GNSKHKC7KR261382

Thanks

Bob

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon and what Robert said will take all the guess work out of it. That RPO sheet will tell you all your options and spec that you don't already see or know about.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF, Paul, from the Mile High City.

Open your glovebox and on the lid should be a sticker that looks something like this. Either post up a copy of yours or list the codes on it it that start with "Gxx".

GMRPOcode_resized.jpg

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We recently purchased a used 2015 Tahoe LT with the intention of purchasing a small (19-22ft) travel trailer. The dealer told me that the vehicle was equipped with the towing package but I need to confirm the axle ratio so I can determine how heavy a trailer I can safely tow. The VIN number for the vehicle is 1GNSCBKC1FR601867. I don't have the original window sticker from Chevy when the vehicle was new.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

I ran your VIN through GM's build history, you have GU4 - REAR AXLE 3.08 RATIO.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With that 3.08 ratio you will not have much ooomph off the line but once you get up to speed you will be cruising. Bit easier on the fuel mileage as well.

OP
OP
Paul Cronin

Paul Cronin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you look at the bottom of your glove compartment there should be a sticker with RPO codes. That will list all the specs. of your truck. you can find a description here https://www.newgmparts.com/decoding-general-motors-rpo-codes with a link to the RPO codes. There is also a wat to get the original build sheet with RPO codes from Chevrolet. setup a my.chevrolet.com account then you can send a request in like I did below. Received the build sheet a day later.

Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2019 3:01 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: Build Sheet Request

I recently purchased a 2019 Chevrolet Suburban. I have setup a my.chevrolet.com account linked to this email address. Can I get a pdf copy of my build sheet sent to me at this address? VIN 1GNSKHKC7KR261382

Thanks

Bob

Thanks so much Bob. I will definitely do this. I appreciate the feedback.

Paul

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
GU4 is the 3.08 gear and G80 is the posi-trac rear differential. I cannot find and GBA code. Are you sure that is the correct code?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins