How do I keep my engine running in my 2021 Tahoe LT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Richardson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am with a Search and Rescue K9 team and I am trying to keep my air conditioner on with the engine running on my 2021 LT Tahoe. I can't leave my K9 in the vehicle because the engine shuts off after 20 mins. (I am guessing it's an anti suicide prevention device that turns off he engine after so long). I know I can restart it 2 or 3 times, but that doesn't work for what I do. I work around Law Enforcement and their K9 Tahoe's have a dept. package that comes with their county vehicles. Does anyone have a suggestion other then a window fan that runs off the battery.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it should run in service mode until it runs out of gas.
i believe you just press the start button for 5 seconds without your foot on the brake pedal
if that is not the way to put it in service mode, then just google "service mode"
be sure to try it first and make sure it runs beyond the 20 minutes before leaving you pal in the vehicle

OP
OP
Mark Richardson

Mark Richardson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it should run in service mode until it runs out of gas.
i believe you just press the start button for 5 seconds without your foot on the brake pedal
if that is not the way to put it in service mode, then just google "service mode"
be sure to try it first and make sure it runs beyond the 20 minutes before leaving you pal in the vehicle
I wish it would keep running until it is out of gas, but it will run when I get out for 20 minutes then shut down. Then I have to use my fob to start the engine and that only can be done 2 times before I have to start all over and trick it to think were moving. I never tried to push the start button for 5 sec. without my foot on the brake. I have never heard of service mode. I need to look that up. I do run a fan inside in case it shuts down and I am not there, but I still check it within 30 minutes. Thank you for the reply.

WynnTN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am with a Search and Rescue K9 team and I am trying to keep my air conditioner on with the engine running on my 2021 LT Tahoe. I can't leave my K9 in the vehicle because the engine shuts off after 20 mins. (I am guessing it's an anti suicide prevention device that turns off he engine after so long). I know I can restart it 2 or 3 times, but that doesn't work for what I do. I work around Law Enforcement and their K9 Tahoe's have a dept. package that comes with their county vehicles. Does anyone have a suggestion other then a window fan that runs off the battery.
I have the 21 Tahoe base model and the way mine works (if it was already running) is when I’m on scene, I have to shut it off, then start it holding the start button down until the info center says auto shutdown disabled. On mine, it shuts down EVEN IF the fob is present. But yes this method works great and it will never turn off by itself on that cycle.
if it’s parked and I’m dispatched I can start it with the 5 second hold from the start and it will not time out.

Thanks for your service brother!

K5-Z71

Reaction score
if the above options do not work you can place the vehicle in drive or reverse and engage the parking brake to disable the 20 minute auto shut down. Would be a good idea to point the truck in a safe direction and bring wheel chocks. Its the solution the diesel guys came up with.

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
if the above options do not work you can place the vehicle in drive or reverse and engage the parking brake to disable the 20 minute auto shut down. Would be a good idea to point the truck in a safe direction and bring wheel chocks. Its the solution the diesel guys came up with.
You don't have to put in gear and apply parking brake to avoid the shutdown, put it neutral and apply parking brake this will bypass the shutdown time out.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO, do not do this! NO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts