Need Some Opinions on 2015 Tahoe LTZ Rear Air Ride Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RevealTheKraken

RevealTheKraken

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did see those, and I do like supporting small businesses. However, $260 (for one side) for what is in reality just a few resistors is a little steep for me. I'll try a few $10 resistors and if they work, great. If not, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.

OP
OP
RevealTheKraken

RevealTheKraken

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New update!

I was just at the local hardware store and loaded about 400lbs of material in the back of the Tahoe. Guess what happened? I hear a noise from under the Tahoe that I haven't heard since the first week I bought the truck, the air pump kicks on and airs the bags up. Reached under the Tahoe and sure enough the bags have air and the truck was level. Got home let it sit a few minutes and the pump never kicked back on and the bags were hard. Took the load out of the truck and went back under and the bags released the air and are empty again. I do not hear the pump do the "self test" when I first start the truck. I was under the impression that the bags should always have some air in them. Am I mistaken? My running theory now, and I apologize for the long winded update, is that all my experience and my good friends experience is on the longer Yukon XL and Suburban platform does not pertain to the shorter Tahoe/Yukons. The extra 4 feet of truck is actually enough to sag the rear suspension and the level sensors see that and the suspension module decides to air the shocks up to compensate for the 'extra" weight. Does any of this hold an weight or am I grasping at straws?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have a gmt900 suburban and my bags always have some air in them. It would be good to know what brand compressor is in your truck. If it was replaced with a Dorman unit I have heard they don’t self test like the GM ones.

I replaced the entire system on my truck with stuff from Arnott and I am happy with the performance of it all. Hauls a 3000# trailer of wood with ease.

OP
OP
RevealTheKraken

RevealTheKraken

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good point. I am the 2nd owner and have no idea if the pump was replaced. I think tonight I'll have the kids sit in the way back and add weight again until it kicks in again to see if it was a fluke. It's a little brisk and snowy outside and unfortunately I don't have a garage to pull it into at the moment. I'll look into the dorman units and see if I can find anything about those.

repairman54

Reaction score
My shocks always have air in them also. You may not hear them bleed down when stopped but they can self-adjust once moving. Sometimes I hear air release when jacking a loaded trailer off the hitch, sometimes not.
Replacement Dorman pump in there right now with 2 new GM shocks.

Autowholesale

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Leaning heavily that direction at the moment. More so because it is less work on my end. I think my course of action will be to buy a pump first to identify if one or both air shocks are leaking. I have seen people mention the Arnott brand and on rock auto I see they have 2 models. One for $208 a piece and one for $260 a piece. one is mono tube the other is twin tube Anyone have any experience with either of these? I'd hate to install these and have that dreaded service suspension soon light on all the time.
Suspension control module ?

Autowholesale

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Leaning heavily that direction at the moment. More so because it is less work on my end. I think my course of action will be to buy a pump first to identify if one or both air shocks are leaking. I have seen people mention the Arnott brand and on rock auto I see they have 2 models. One for $208 a piece and one for $260 a piece. one is mono tube the other is twin tube Anyone have any experience with either of these? I'd hate to install these and have that dreaded service suspension soon light on all the time.
My 2016 Yukon Denali the compressor hardly ever runs but the truck has extremely hard ride as if no suspension. Any thoughts. I've got quotes from my shop of $2,225.00 all four from local GM dealer my mechanic can install, or $1,856 for Arnott but trying to figure out if this is what I need before throwing that kind of $ at it the vehicle has 103,000 miles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt