Axle Ratio/Towing information is difficult to grok. Would love some help with my 2020 Tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hollandex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got the manual and a half dozen websites open and I'm getting different numbers for literally every meaningful value: payload, gcwr, hitch weight, etc. Every website shows different values. Why is this information so annoying to sort out?

I'm driving a 2020 Tahoe LT 5.3L RWD. The manual, attempting to be one-size-fits-all, is listing a chart for all possible Tahoes. However, they're listed based on the 1500 chassis and the Axle Ratio, which is entirely unhelpful if all you know is the make/model of your car.

So, I assume I'm driving a "1500 Short Wheelbase". I'm guessing the Long Wheelbase is the Suburban? But which Axle Ratio do I have? It has 3.08 and 3.42 listed and the Max Trailer Weigh is significantly different based on which one I have.

Once I can sort that out, I will at least have the Max Trailer Weight and GCWR. Which should be helpful in getting the rest.

Thanks for the help. If I sound like I'm completely clueless about all this. it's because I am. haha

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the manual and a half dozen websites open and I'm getting different numbers for literally every meaningful value: payload, gcwr, hitch weight, etc. Every website shows different values. Why is this information so annoying to sort out?

I'm driving a 2020 Tahoe LT 5.3L RWD. The manual, attempting to be one-size-fits-all, is listing a chart for all possible Tahoes. However, they're listed based on the 1500 chassis and the Axle Ratio, which is entirely unhelpful if all you know is the make/model of your car.

So, I assume I'm driving a "1500 Short Wheelbase". I'm guessing the Long Wheelbase is the Suburban? But which Axle Ratio do I have? It has 3.08 and 3.42 listed and the Max Trailer Weigh is significantly different based on which one I have.

Once I can sort that out, I will at least have the Max Trailer Weight and GCWR. Which should be helpful in getting the rest.

Thanks for the help. If I sound like I'm completely clueless about all this. it's because I am. haha
Do you have a sticker in the glovebox door with a bunch of codes on it? If so, take a photo of it and post it here and we can explain the relevant codes to you so you can figure it out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Take a pic of RPO codes and post so we can help based on actual info specs. I heard the RPO codes may not be posted on the glove compartment anymore. May have to get a copy of build sheet based on VIN number.

dpollak81

Reaction score
If you don’t have the integrated trailer brake to the left of the steering wheel than you have the 3.08 rear end. Im pretty sure the only way to get the 3.42 rear with the 5.3 is with the trailering package which came with the trailer brake controller.

Looks like the 3.08 ratio maxes at 6600 lbs towing and you can do 8600 lbs if you have the max tow and 3.42 rear. Don’t forget you have to deduct additional people and cargo from that number.

I searched through a lot of 5.3’s before settling on a 6.2 Denali that had all the trailer stuff standard….

Last edited:

rediron

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have the tow package or the z71 it will come with 3.42 gears if not it's 3.08. The rpo codes for you Tahoe are on the drivers side door well in a QR code. Scan it and it will be in a comma separated dataset, copy that and paste it into any online RPO reader

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans