How deep in the water?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the brakes, wet brakes don't stop very well and the caliper sliding parts will rust in a short time. Been there done that.

GM_fan97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Consider buying one of these.
https://extendahitch.net/
I saw them at the launch one day... definitely worth the money.

Didn't know something like that existed (don't tow much) but makes sense. I have a small jetski trailer, might get something like this https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45796-Receiver-Tube-Extender/dp/B0007M1FNM as the ramp at the marina has a decent angle.

I didn't realize the rear differential has a vent?? What is it venting? Anyway, glad I saw this thread - good to know these things.

Cole123456

Reaction score
Didn't know something like that existed (don't tow much) but makes sense. I have a small jetski trailer, might get something like this https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45796-Receiver-Tube-Extender/dp/B0007M1FNM as the ramp at the marina has a decent angle.

I didn't realize the rear differential has a vent?? What is it venting? Anyway, glad I saw this thread - good to know these things.

if 18inches will make a difference then yeah you could use that extender... i know truck owners that have a superhitch 4 foot extender which is made to go under a camper, so that you can tow... but the leverage is the wrong way... It makes it work for the camper, but its really hard from a towing/leverage/etc. a 4 foot extension on the truck side, increases your leverage of your ball weight, which cantelevers the weight off of the front tires of your truck....

with the extendahitch, you are actually increasing the length of the trailer tongue, which decreases pin weight, and therefore increases weight on your front tires.

why am i calling out front tire weight? bcause if you still get your back tires wet, your front ones are going to pull you out, and you don't want to decrease your weight on the front tires..
We tested a 250lb tongue weight on a 4foot super hitch, it took over 1k lbs off the front truck tires on the scale. (in comparison to not being hooked up)

where does this matter? its because shrimping is only open for 4 hours on the puget sound... so you launch at high tide, and your done at low tide...so its horrible time to pull out..

Last edited:

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 Z71 LT stock.

How deep in the water can I back my Tahoe?
Going to the lake and boat ramp is WAY FLAT....
I am guessing that i will have back down the ramp until my rear axle is over the top.

Last time I used this ramp I had a truck that I extended the vents into the engine bay.

So the question is? How deep can these stock Tahoe 2015-2020 get into the water?

Thanks.

Use the wifes Car. or buy something you dont care about.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend going any deeper than the top of the rear bumper, electrical stuff is all sealed, rear diff vent hose extends up near the gas tank.
any deeper than the rear bumper and then water starts getting in the vehicle. If it was a pickup no big deal.
behind the tail light housings there is nothing to stop water from entering the vehicle, you could go as deep as the bottom of the tail lights but that's it. unless you don't care if the carpet gets wet in back.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have these on mine for about 10 years for my bass boat. Only need the trailer hubs half way dunked when launching. Bunks are dry and a few inches out of the water when I slide it off with a bow line to retrieve. Got a heavy roller on the rear of the trailer frame for the keel to roll off of. Driving back on only requires 3/4 of the trailer wheels submerged. Certainly helps for shallow ramps. Even of you can't power it on you can still winch it on easily. I can actually lay my boat on the ground and winch it back on with these bunks and he roller. Of course with the supply chain shot to shit right now they are out of stock. But I highly recommend them especially for aluminum hulls.

https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu