How deep in the water?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRETTLSMO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2019 Z71 LT stock.

How deep in the water can I back my Tahoe?
Going to the lake and boat ramp is WAY FLAT....
I am guessing that i will have back down the ramp until my rear axle is over the top.

Last time I used this ramp I had a truck that I extended the vents into the engine bay.

So the question is? How deep can these stock Tahoe 2015-2020 get into the water?

Thanks.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an avid watcher of YouTube boat ramp fails, I ask you to please not end up there. However, you're asking a great question that I'd love to know the answer too as well. Subscribed

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As deep as you are willing to pay to fix! The old rule used to be up to the spark plugs deep, then boots got better and it became keep top of motor dry. Now I think halfway up the tires is probably going to cost you sooner or later. Too many wires. Dunking the rear in fresh clean water still have to check for water in oil. Axle seals or vent line under.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 Z71 LT stock.

How deep in the water can I back my Tahoe?
Going to the lake and boat ramp is WAY FLAT....
I am guessing that i will have back down the ramp until my rear axle is over the top.

Last time I used this ramp I had a truck that I extended the vents into the engine bay.

So the question is? How deep can these stock Tahoe 2015-2020 get into the water?

Thanks.

Well, the 2019 owner's manual says not drive into water deeper than the hubs, axle or exhaust pipe. The rear axle is sealed and there is a vent tube that exits several inches above the rear differential. Is yours a 4x4 with All-Terrain tires? I'd sure be leery about backing down that deep on a slimy, algae covered ramp even with my All-Terrains and engaged in 4LO! Wouldn't want to wind up on youtube!

Don't be this guy!:

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the 2019 owner's manual says not drive into water deeper than the hubs, axle or exhaust pipe. The rear axle is sealed and there is a vent tube that exits several inches above the rear differential. Is yours a 4x4 with All-Terrain tires? I'd sure be leery about backing down that deep on a slimy, algae covered ramp even with my All-Terrains and engaged in 4LO! Wouldn't want to wind up on youtube!

Don't be this guy!:

Something about the narration of these videos really grind my gears. But at the same time awkward silence is boring

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As deep as you are willing to pay to fix! The old rule used to be up to the spark plugs deep, then boots got better and it became keep top of motor dry. Now I think halfway up the tires is probably going to cost you sooner or later. Too many wires. Dunking the rear in fresh clean water still have to check for water in oil. Axle seals or vent line under.
Dont forget about the Air Compressor (if equipped)!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Don't be this guy!:

Added insult to injury--pulled out by a ferd!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645