How bad is your mileage towing an RV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious what you guys are towing, and how it affects the mileage?

I get 20-22 on the highway, considering an RV, but since it's just me and the wife - at some point I'd be better off staying in hotels and skip the RV entirely.

All repleis appreciated, thx!

tirekicker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i would get between 12 and 14 mpg towing a 3200# camper plus all the stuff for me and the wife for a road trip from east coast to west coast and back.

topaq

Reaction score

I get 20-22 on the highway, considering an RV, but since it's just me and the wife - at some point I'd be better off staying in hotels and skip the RV entirely.

With my 2019 Denali 6.2L towing a 24ft 6000 lb trailer I average 10-11mpg. Less in the mountains or in significant winds.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in October I did a 3000+ mile trip towing around 6000lbs from Southern California up to the Canadian border and back.
Averaged 14mpg ish.

Make sure you flip the thermostat in your transmission before any serious towing!

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
Back in October I did a 3000+ mile trip towing around 6000lbs from Southern California up to the Canadian border and back.
Averaged 14mpg ish.

Make sure you flip the thermostat in your transmission before any serious towing!
What benefit from flipping the tstat?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's a different experience, more leisurely too. The mileage isn't "bad' it's just less since the engine has more work to do to haul more weight. As does the driver!

There are trips we plan where an RV is not possible or a hindrance and others where it would be a joy.

I was reading posts just yesterday and many folks only travel about 300-400 miles a day when pulling an RV, some do more. Without towing, we easily double that as it's also less taxing on the driver to run solo compared with towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truckinscooby

Latest posts