Horrible MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drew907

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 2001 Tahoe 5.3 4x4. It had a tuff life till I bought it. It’s got 180,000 miles and holding up well. My issue is my gas mileage is horrendous. Getting between 7-9 mpg in town. Now I live in AK and it’s 10-15* daily this time of year so it gets idled a lot to warm up. In the last 2000 miles I’ve changed
-plugs and wires
-oem fuel pump and new filter
-oil change with quality oil and filter
-intake air filter
-cleaned throttle body
-big 3 upgrade for other reasons
-new battery
Right now I have a check engine light on for a bad car on bank 2. On my scanner it’s showing that the front o2 sensors are acting normal. At idle it has a bad hiccup that feels like a fuel issue or vacuum leak. I’ve looked over the intake manifold with a fine toothed comb and found no leaks. Fuel pressure is right on the money at idle and with rpm.

I’m stuck on what to check next. I don’t mind throwing parts at it. I want this rig perfect. In the summer we put on lots of highway miles during fishing trips.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have alot of idle time thats possibly the reason. My wife lets ours idle long enough when i hop in it the readout shows 9ish mpg. So my guess is thats a big part of your deal too. While i would check that o2 code and fix it, l dont think bank 2 will have much affect on mpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Same type of recent problem with my old 2002 LT. Idled bad in gear and a stutter from a stop. Bad sensor. May also be old enough that the cats are failing too. This is a problem with an older NBS with 180k miles. Cats old enough to not be efficient, no matter how many new sensors are installed. Replaced all 4 sensors and problem solved. I would also be worried about this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1298772&cc=1371620&jsn=2512. There are a couple of choices, so check the application at RA for the correct one.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
O2 sensor issues can force the engine to stay out of closed loop. Closed loop allows your engine to trim fuel flows very precisely.

^^^ THIS. And get a reading on your short- and long-term fuel trims, both banks, with a scanner. Idle and 1500 RPM. They can tell you a lot.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bank 2 would the right side of engine, as in for cyls 2-4-6-8. What code says the o2 is bad?

Have you cleaned the MAS? Just dont blow it with compressed air.

BentleyArnage

Reaction score
60k plus on the sensors? Replace them. They do all sorts of things that don't set codes. Just trash them like spark plugs. It's been a common thread with O2 sensors since the beginning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter