Horn Not Working on PPV, My Diagnosis Thus Far (Actual Horn Unit Works)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Check your RPO option codes, the sticker in the glove box. It may be wired for a siren. Gmupfitters web site has the wiring diagram for the extra wiring for police options there should be 2or3 extra harnesses stuffed under the radio also the ppv ssv owners manual supplement has info. under the hood on the left side on my ssv is a harness for grill lights and siren it has I think four wires , try a test light on those while someone tries to blow the horn. good luck . you can probably hook up your flashing lights also I would stay away from the BCM for now

Last edited:

JoieDeMort

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For mine, after hours of online and manual research and probing around, it was a very simple fix. I found the 6J4 information in the manuals as referenced in the images above, and I found the correct wire which was tucked in the dash under the radio. I lay down on my back under the dash, found the coils of wires, and I identified the jumper cable for 6J4. It's a really thin black wire. Whoever removed the siren switch simply clipped the jumper and taped the cut ends with electrical tape so that they didn't actually connect. However, for the horn to work, the wires have to connect. I simply unplugged and removed that section of jumper, and then all I had to do was to push the male and female spade connectors together without the jumper section. The horn instantly worked. Hope this is your issue.

See also
tahoeyukonforum
.com/threads/horn-problems.80217/#post-994841

(Too new to post a real link apparently, and forum software too ignorant to realize it's an internal link)

OP
OP
battlewagon

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any luck?
Negatron, probed it so that I could feel the point coming out the other side of the wire, and pressed horn, no luck. Thank you for all the great help so far.

Also, mucho gracias to the other two guys who just posted. I did a quick look under there but couldn't see much since I added a full console. Will investigate those build options with the extra wire and see if it is cut there.

You guys are the best!

Supercrewzn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Above posters are correct. i install police equipment all day long. This is called a horn ring wire. It is usually tapped so that the officer can set his siren to handsfree and use the horn button on the steering wheel to activate the siren without actually touching his equipment. Look under the dash and under radio. Most likely it was cut and not connected when they removed the equipment.

OP
OP
battlewagon

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had great success, thanks to you all and a facebook group.

You can see the two tan wires connected by the black connector. However after the red tube connector, it was spliced into a green wire as you can barely see. Right above it is the other tan wire, which is spliced into a pink wire.

20161211_152446.jpg

I cut the two tan wires and connected them back into themselves, as shown below. Horn works.

20161211_154031.jpg

Spanky

Reaction score
Im having this problem too, I'll crawl under the dash tomorrow and look for this, crossing my fingers!

StealthTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. My horn didn't work on the steering wheel, but it worked for the key fob. turns out... and this for anyone without the PPV, my wiring in the airbag clockspring was faulty. I ended up rewiring the horn wire to a non used plug on the steering wheel side and inside the steering wheel. I do NOT recommend anyone without knowledge of electronics and wiring take on this task. You could very easily short out your vehicle and possibly injure yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne