Horn Not Working on PPV, My Diagnosis Thus Far (Actual Horn Unit Works)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04BUCKET

Reaction score
Above posters are correct. i install police equipment all day long. This is called a horn ring wire. It is usually tapped so that the officer can set his siren to handsfree and use the horn button on the steering wheel to activate the siren without actually touching his equipment. Look under the dash and under radio. Most likely it was cut and not connected when they removed the equipment.

My horn works, but my reverse lights don't work. Similar issue? 08 stock PPV

Spanky

Reaction score
Ruben, have you checked for power at the reverse sockets? I don't think that would be related.

Joeyhosmanole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great thread all, thank you very much. I picked up a 2011 SSV Tahoe in November and this has been bugging me since.

I poked around for the brown wire and sure enough it was cut, just spliced it back together and now the horn works.

Interestingly, the horn works only while the key is in accessory or while ignition is on. Good enough for me.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Interestingly, the horn works only while the key is in accessory or while ignition is on. Good enough for me.

That's normal for all these trucks.

The brake lights will also not illuminate by touching the brake pedal with out the key on.

Joeyhosmanole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's normal for all these trucks.

The brake lights will also not illuminate by touching the brake pedal with out the key on.

True, same with the brake lights. Only when key is in accessory or on position.

BUT, suddenly the horn is now working even when the key is out.

Screwy, but whatever.

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, same with the brake lights. Only when key is in accessory or on position.

BUT, suddenly the horn is now working even when the key is out.

Screwy, but whatever.

These horn pads operate different features for sirens. So running priority, a hit if the horn pads changes siren tone (Yelp,party). Going further, to prevent the jumping out of the car and every vehicle on scene obnoxiously running a siren while parked or with key off, they are wired to cut off.

When you get your ppv/spv.. they rip out some of the parts and creates these gaps, problems.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Upon this reply was a schematic. When I clicked on the schematic it tells me that I need to be a member. I signed up and when I returned the schematic now is inaccessible. What happened?

Not sure... link works for me so here you go...

rps20180619_224748_350.jpg

Bigcrow74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright boys and gals, I have a 2013 Police Tahoe (PPV). Great ride, but horn doesn't and has never worked. I am in LE and have owned a few personal PPVs, so it is very very common for the horn to not work when you press the steering wheel in, as the wires often get cut in police equipment removal; sometimes they are disabled right from the get go when police equipment is installed.

At this point in time, I have determined the following:

The horn itself is good. Used a wire to jump power straight from the battery to fuse 29 (HORN), and the horn sounds off.

From what I understand, the sequence of events is as follows: Press horn, horn switch > wire > BCM > wire > under hood fuse box > wire > horn sounds.

The signal is NOT reaching the fuse box. When I use a multimeter and ground it, and place the positive probe on the fuse and press the horn, no power is registered at the fuse. When I do this on my Suburban, which has the same setup, power registers on the multimeter (and the horn sounds off). So to me, there is an issue between the horn switch (steering wheel) and the fuse box.

If I am correct, the issue can only be one of these:

Horn switch (steering wheel), or something related to it, clockspring, etc.

Wire cut between horn switch and BCM, or between BCM and fuse box.

BCM itself.

So...how can I test these and eliminate? I wanted to manually jump the wire running from the horn switch/clockspring assembly straight to the fuse box to see if that makes the horn sound off. To be honest, if it does, I will just leave it like that, and my problem is fixed, since I never use the horn ever anyways. I am just preparing to sell the truck, and while 99% of people don't test the horn on a test drive, I don't want to sell it to an unsuspecting buyer without a horn.

Something that will help me achieve that is a diagram or wire labeling that tells me which wire leaving the steering wheel is for the horn trigger.
I have read on other years on other forums that it is a tan wire. When I get my head in the impossible position to look up back towards the wheel from under the dash, there are multiple tan wires.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
I know is
Alright boys and gals, I have a 2013 Police Tahoe (PPV). Great ride, but horn doesn't and has never worked. I am in LE and have owned a few personal PPVs, so it is very very common for the horn to not work when you press the steering wheel in, as the wires often get cut in police equipment removal; sometimes they are disabled right from the get go when police equipment is installed.

At this point in time, I have determined the following:

The horn itself is good. Used a wire to jump power straight from the battery to fuse 29 (HORN), and the horn sounds off.

From what I understand, the sequence of events is as follows: Press horn, horn switch > wire > BCM > wire > under hood fuse box > wire > horn sounds.

The signal is NOT reaching the fuse box. When I use a multimeter and ground it, and place the positive probe on the fuse and press the horn, no power is registered at the fuse. When I do this on my Suburban, which has the same setup, power registers on the multimeter (and the horn sounds off). So to me, there is an issue between the horn switch (steering wheel) and the fuse box.

If I am correct, the issue can only be one of these:

Horn switch (steering wheel), or something related to it, clockspring, etc.

Wire cut between horn switch and BCM, or between BCM and fuse box.

BCM itself.

So...how can I test these and eliminate? I wanted to manually jump the wire running from the horn switch/clockspring assembly straight to the fuse box to see if that makes the horn sound off. To be honest, if it does, I will just leave it like that, and my problem is fixed, since I never use the horn ever anyways. I am just preparing to sell the truck, and while 99% of people don't test the horn on a test drive, I don't want to sell it to an unsuspecting buyer without a horn.

Something that will help me achieve that is a diagram or wire labeling that tells me which wire leaving the steering wheel is for the horn trigger.
I have read on other years on other forums that it is a tan wire. When I get my head in the impossible position to look up back towards the wheel from under the dash, there are multiple tan wires.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518