Hopeful Future Technology?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCUCREW08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now that 2022 Yukon's have gone with the full Android Automotive suite for technology... has anyone head if there are any plans to make keyless entry/start utilizing a cell phone? I know the technology is rolling out via Android 12 for a number of phones... so hopefully the car makers start catching up! Anyone heard any mumblings on things like this?

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those features already exist using the myGMC app and an active onstar subscription. Or are you talking about something else?

Unluckycharm

Reaction score
Not terribly familiar with android, but he may be referring to the ability to use your phone as a digital key. As long as your phone is on you, you would be able to open/lock your car and even start it. I know Apple has plans to make this happen- I know BMW was pretty interested in making this happen with Apple.

OP
OP
S

SCUCREW08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Referring to the ability for your phone to essentially act as your key fob. Tesla's have this, BMW, Mercedes and Ford are working on it, as are a few others. I've seen the technology referred to as "Phone-as-a-Key" but I'm sure there is a more technological name. It utilizes Bluetooth/NFC.

Larsonxjs

Reaction score
In theory, Probably not far off. You can connect your Tahoe/Yukon to your home wifi. From there you could communicate. If onstar can send the signal then the code is built into the vehicle CPU. I have a raspberry PI set up and would love to code a button by my door for auto start only (similar to garage door fob).

Cryptocap

Reaction score
Referring to the ability for your phone to essentially act as your key fob. Tesla's have this, BMW, Mercedes and Ford are working on it, as are a few others. I've seen the technology referred to as "Phone-as-a-Key" but I'm sure there is a more technological name. It utilizes Bluetooth/NFC.
A digital key. You could add it to your apple wallet or google pay and it would do everything your key fob does. GM has this ability and Apple/Google can and do support it for some vehicles. The issue is the car manufacturer allowing the access needed for it to work. I think it will eventually happen, but GM won’t be in a rush. That ability is a source of income for them, in the form of an OnStar subscription.

jsal52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A digital key. You could add it to your apple wallet or google pay and it would do everything your key fob does. GM has this ability and Apple/Google can and do support it for some vehicles. The issue is the car manufacturer allowing the access needed for it to work. I think it will eventually happen, but GM won’t be in a rush. That ability is a source of income for them, in the form of an OnStar subscription.
I use the OnStar subscription but it doesn’t do what the “phone digital key” does. If you remote start with the OnStar app you still can’t fully start the car and drive away. The new technology allows you to use your phone as the key fob. Walk up, get in, crank the vehicle and drive away. BMW and Kia both have it now.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that 2022 Yukon's have gone with the full Android Automotive suite for technology... has anyone head if there are any plans to make keyless entry/start utilizing a cell phone? I know the technology is rolling out via Android 12 for a number of phones... so hopefully the car makers start catching up! Anyone heard any mumblings on things like this?
Viper has 'Directed' app on Android phones that does all those functions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE