Hitch receiver drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kushog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought a 5 1/4" drop Reese hitch receiver. Looks like it might not be long enough. Has anyone used a receiver with a 6" drop or is 5 1/4" sufficient? I could not find a 6".

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what your pulling and what the level tongue height is.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you towing? I have a 12" lifted truck and only use an 8" drop hitch.

STAY IN IT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It all depends on what your pulling and what the level tongue height is.

Exactly. I pull a number of different trailers and long ago abandoned non-adjustable hitches because there are so many variables affecting the ideal drop. Even if you exclusively pull one trailer, make sure you hook the trailer up with full tongue weight on the ball and then check the front and rear trailer height on a flat surface (goal obviously being level) to determine correct drop/ball height.

vp46

Reaction score
I have a 10in adjustable hitch....

I tow a Mastercraft on a tandem trailer. It is critical that you tow a tandem trailer level so you are distributing the weight equally to all four trailer tires - or deal with the increased risk of a blow out.

When I pull my boat out of the garage I go to about a 9 in drop to clear the header....

Then I unhitch the boat and raise it to a 4in drop (I go to 4in because that is where my trailer is level).

OMG how nice would it be if I could control the air suspension from the cab.....versus having to unhitch raise lower etc.

GM you can take the dumb RCA jacks, the multitude of near worthless SD card inputs, and the ACC.....just give me adjustable suspension and a 360 degree BU camera- Please thank you! :)

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who may be able to get you the adjustable rear you want... would need to confirm that the coil rats are the same as the gmt900.

OP
OP
K

kushog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info. I was just surprised when I used the receiver from my 2008 Sierra Crew Cab and put it on the 2015 Yukon. There was a big difference in the height of the hitch. I think the 5 1/4" will do but when I get some free time will have to hook it up and put it level ground to see if it is ok.

vp46

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info. I was just surprised when I used the receiver from my 2008 Sierra Crew Cab and put it on the 2015 Yukon. There was a big difference in the height of the hitch. I think the 5 1/4" will do but when I get some free time will have to hook it up and put it level ground to see if it is ok.

The reason for the difference is the location receiver - sierra it is mounted below the bumper.... yukon it is integrated.

Voila... differing heights.

sharper4

Reaction score
I just went through this with my tandem trailered boat. On my F150, a standard 2" receiver was perfect. I ultimately found a 7 3/4" drop hitch from Uhaul that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Looks silly comparably but at least we get to still use the boat! I think it could probably use a tad more of a drop too. Hard to see in this photo.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V2Tahoe