Hissing noise near coolant reservoir after shutting car off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_6936.jpeg
It was hot out today and I was running errands and the car was hissing near this area when I shit the car off and opened the hood. The coolant gauge reads normal all day no overheating to my knowledge

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s just a “ssssss” noise that goes away after shutting car off. Is it just excessive pressure being vented?

Edit: 89° f out but no overheating.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. Seems to be coming from condenser area. I used A/C pro and might have over charged it. It still blows cold though. In reference to the hissing noise.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's pretty normal for ac to sound like that.. it's just equalizing from the high pressure side to the low pressure side after the pump stops.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Appreciate the quick feedback man. Thanks.
So would it make it worse if I overcharged it on accident? I was watching the gauge on top of the ac pro can, but it seems to fluctuate when the compressor clutch kicks on and off. When on it would go down and when off it would go into the red or yellow, So never got the right reading. I’m assuming I am supposed to read it when the compressor is on.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone told me “Most likely your radiator they get pressure bulit up while running”
And then said this is not normal.

I said it was the pump like you had mentioned and then they said “ The compressor wouldn't stop after 10 sec it would go until your entire ac is drained. And no it's not normal”

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is your ac cycling at idle? what's the outside temp? usually if it's hot out it won't cycle much if at all at idle.

I've not heard of a radiator building up pressure and needing to release without seeing steam and smelling coolent.

if it's not over heating I wouldn't worry about it but what's the back story on the ac.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That noise IS the a/c pressure equalizing after shut down. Noise used to be at the accumulator because that is where the orifice was on older vehicles and now the orifice is where you hear the noise. If you are not running hot and a/c is cold, it is ok. By the way, how do you...."shit the car off"....?

That is gonna leave a mess........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo