HID with DRL on Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erebos

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm about to switch out the factory bulb with the HID bi-xenon kit this coming weekend. I have seen a lot of post discussing about removing the fuse to disable the DRL, but I was wondering if this is necessary? Is the DRL and the low are the same?

Can you have the DRL running as it was after the HID mod? Provided that you do the whole harness wire and everything instead of just swapping out the bulb with the ballast only. I am bit unclear on what would happen to the DRL after the HID installation.

Thanks in advance!

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yes you can just get a relay and run the DRL/lows w/o removing the sensor fuse. The only issue with that is that your HIDs will always be on as long as the truck is. Expect them to last nothing over a year.
If I had a yukon I would just run some wire to the fogs off the light connector pins on the back of the headlight on the Yukons and just use my fog lights as DRLs.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Plus, fog lights as DRL's sound sick!

SLT Kon-Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that the fogs look better as DRL's on the Yukon, I've been using mine that way since buying the truck new 3 years ago, looks even better since installing the DDM 5600K HIDs in them, I also pulled the fuse for the DRL a long time ago, got tired of instinctively turning the light switch every time I started the truck to turn the DRLs off.

OP
OP
E

Erebos

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. I was going to do the same as Kon-Man said and manually turn the DRL off but I guess after awhile it will be annoying, too bad they don't have the option to permanently turn off other than removing the fuse. I guess I'll go with the fuse route for now until I have more time to rewire the wire down to the fog.

OP
OP
E

Erebos

Reaction score
Finally, got the HID installed this weekend. Man, you guys didn't warn me about how much of a pain it was to remove the headlight. Anyhow, after figuring out how to remove the headlight, everything was a breeze. The new lights are super bright. I had the 6000K on my old truck but this time I decided to get more brightness so I went with the 4300K and boy, it's nice and bright!! I've decided to go with the pull the fuse option for now.

Bryansan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it turned out well for you. I'm going to do the same thing me thinks. I want to put the HID's in the lows/fogs though. I'm guessing I'll have to pull the fuse though for my DRLs.

OP
OP
E

Erebos

Reaction score
If you have a Yukon, you really don't have much of choice if you want to change only low or high, the Yukon uses the same bulb for low and high :(. I wish it could be separate, but I went with the Bi-xenon from one of the sponsored vendors from the vendor list (HIDGUY) and it looks great.

lakaw

Reaction score
I agree that the fogs look better as DRL's on the Yukon, I've been using mine that way since buying the truck new 3 years ago, looks even better since installing the DDM 5600K HIDs in them, I also pulled the fuse for the DRL a long time ago, got tired of instinctively turning the light switch every time I started the truck to turn the DRLs off.

Can you provide me with direction on the wiring for this? Also, does this make the fog switch useless, or can you still use it to turn the fogs on when DRL are off? I'm going with the DDM 35W 6000k Hi/Lo's and the SpencerHID 25w 6000k fogs.

vietcu

Reaction score

A little confused in your comments. If you pulled the fuse then the DRL isn't going to be on during the day right? Are you using them as night time lights then with you pulling the fuse on the DRL, that way when the sensor goes off when it gets dark both your LO and your FOG comes on? Thanks. I am in the process of doing a retro to my lights so just curious about your statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667